Hide

Dishley

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"DISHLEY-CUM-THORPACRE, a parish in Loughborough district, Leicester; adjacent to the river Soar and the Midland railway, 1½ mile NW of Loughborough. Post town, Loughborough. Acres, 890. Real property, £1,742. Pop., 194. Houses, 54. Bakewell, the distinguished agricultural improver, lived and laboured here; and has bequeathed to the place marked benefits of his skill. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church was built in 1845. A school has £11 from endowment, and other charities £11."
"John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-1872"

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Loughborough sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2275
1871 R.G. 10 / 3257
1891 R.G. 12 / 2516
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church at Thorpe was dedicated to All Saints.
     
  • The church was built in 1845.
     
  • The church seats 150.
     
  • In 1912 the Anglican parish church at Dishley was roofless and in ruins.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register for the church at Dishley dates from 1681.
     
  • The Salt Lake City Family History Library has the Bishops' Transcripts for 1578-1887 on microfilm.
     
  • The Anglican parish register for All Saints dates from 1845.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of East Akeley.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Mormon Church in Thorpe Acre on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Loughborough sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Dishley (formerly known as "Thorpe Acre with Dishley") is a village and a parish on the Blackbrook Beck, which feeds into the River Soar. It is on the border with Nottinghamshire. The parish lies 1.5 miles northwest of Loughborough and 112 miles north of London. The parish covered 1,147 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, Dishley is on the road between Loughborough and Derby.
     
You can see pictures of Dishley which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Dishley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish had an inn called the Old Plough Public House.
     
  • Roger TEMPLEMAN has a photograph of The Plough Inn on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2016.
     
  • Names that are associated with the Inn found in directories are:
     
 Year Person
1881 William LUDLAM, bricklayer
1887 Jno. HARPHAM, farmer
1912 Edward MARSHALL
1925 Edward MARSHALL
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK513213 (Lat/Lon: 52.786465, -1.240768), Dishley which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county (under the "Thorpe Acre and Dishley" name) and became a Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient West Goscote Hundred in the Loughborough (or mid) division of the county.
     
  • The parish boundaries were "adjusted" in 1892.
     
  • On 1 April, 1935, the Civil Parish was abolished and all 1,147 acres were amalgamated with Loughborough Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Loughborough Poor Law Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Loughborough petty session hearings each Wednesday.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 225
1841 298
1851 260
1881 212
1891 194
1901 196
1921 201
topup

Schools

  • A Public Elementary School (mixed) was built here in 1879 to hold 60 children.