East Norton


Description in 1871:
"East Norton, a parish, with a village, in Billesdon district, Leicester; on the river Eye, adjacent to Rutland, 5½ miles WNW of Uppingham, and 6½ SW of Oakham r. station. Post town, Uppingham. Acres, 1,840. Real property, £3,309. Pop., 142. Houses, 24. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to H. Morris, Esq. A petrifying spring is near the church. An ancient camp, supposed to be Roman, is at Filton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £175. Patron,H. Morris, Esq. The church is decorated English; and consists of nave and aisles, with low square tower."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72



  • The parish was in the Billesdon subdistrict of the Billesdon Registration District.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2253
1871 R.G. 10 / 3227
1891 R.G. 12 / 2494

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to All Saints.
  • The church was built in Norman times on the west end of the village.
  • The church chancel was repaired in 1847.
  • The church was restored in 1850.
  • This church seats 120.
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2006.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1690.
  • The church was in the rural Gartree deanery (third portion).
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a room to use as a chapel prior to 1849.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Billesdon subdistrict of the Billesdon Registration District.

Description & Travel

East Norton is a village, a chapelry and a parish on the eastern boundary of Leicestershire, in a low valley only 14 miles east of Leicester city, 6 miles east of Uppingham in Rutland and 93 miles from London. The parish has a tiny corner on the east end that touches Rutland county. Allexton parish lies to the east and Tugby parish to the west. The parish covers 1,138 acres.

The land around the village has been mostly pasture for centuries. The Eye Brook passes just north of the village. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A47 east out of Leicester city past Tugby. East Norton village will be about a mile further down the road.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
You can see pictures of East Norton which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which East Norton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The Manor House was a stone building on the north side of the village and the residence of John Hippersley HAYCOCK in 1849.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of East Norton Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2014.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK784004 (Lat/Lon: 52.59575, -0.844003), East Norton which are provided by:


Military History

Inside the parish church there is a brass plaque with black lettering which commemorates two members of the MATTHEWS family who died in World War One. These men were not from East Norton.

East Norton is one of the Thankful Villages. All the men from the village returned from World War One. There is a window in All Saints Church with an inscription that records this.


Politics & Government

  • This place was long an ancient Chapelry in Leicestershire, but became a Civil Parish in December, 1866.
  • The parish lies in the East Goscote Hundred (or Wapentake) in the eastern (or northern) division of the county.
  • The citizens of East Norton parish have elected to forgo a formal Parish Council. They have periodic Parish Meetings of all the citizens to discuss civic and political issues.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Billesdon Poorlaw Union.
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the justice room of the White Bull inn where petty sessional hearings took place.


 Year Inhabitants
1801 128
1841 134
1871 125
1881 134
1891 139
1901 149
1911 120
1921 137
1931 92
1961 95


  • In 1849 the parish had a Free School and two private schools.
  • By 1912 the children of this parish were attending school in Tugby parish.