Hide

Edmondthorpe

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"EDMONDTHORPE, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on the verge of the county, adjacent to the Melton-Mowbray canal, 3¾ miles ESE of Saxby r. station, and 7 E by S of Melton-Mowbray. Post town, Wymondham, under Oakham. Acres, 1,753. Real property, £2,867. Pop., 233. Houses, 49. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £630. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is neat, and has a pinnacled tower. Charities, £13."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales." 1870-1872]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mobray Registration District.
     
  • In a 1935 re-organization of census districts, this parish was allocated to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 587
1861 R.G. 9 / 2304
1871 R.G. 10 / 3298
1891 R.G. 12 / 2546
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael (some sources say St. Michael and All Angels).
     
  • The church has a square embattled tower surmounted by pinnacles.
     
  • The church was built before 1560.
     
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1875.
     
  • The church seats 300.
     
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of St. Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2005.
     
  • Chris McAULEY also has a photograph of St. Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2012.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1630 (some sources give 1560).
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Framland (second portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mobray Registration District.
     
  • In a 1935 re-organization of civil registration districts, this parish was allocated to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Edmondthorpe is a village and parish about 100 miles north of London and 6 miles north of Oakham (in Rutland). The parish had a long east-west axis and is narrow in the north-south axis and sits across the top of the border with Rutlandshire. The Oakham Canal passed through the parish, but was not navigable most of the time. The parish covered about 1,750 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the B676 east out of Melton Mobray. Turn east at Saxby and go to Wymondham. From there drive south to Edmondthorpe.
     
You can see pictures of Edmondthorpe which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Edmondthorpe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Only about 500 acres of the parish was put to the plough. The rest was grazing land.
     
  • In the 1800s, most of the working population were graziers.
     
  • Stilton Cheese was made here.
     
topup

Manors

  • In 1849, William EDWARDES is residing in the Manor House.
     
  • Edmondthorpe Hall is described in 1881 as a "fine old structure". It was the seat of William Ann POCHIN.
     
  • In 1912, Edmondthorpe Hall was the residence of Victoria Alexandrina, Countess of Yarborough.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK858175 (Lat/Lon: 52.748319, -0.730337), Edmondthorpe which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the WWII War Memorial plaque on the lychgate to the churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of Leicestershire and a modern Civil Parish as well.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Framland Hundred (or Wapentake) in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • This parish was abolished in 1936 and all the land amalgamated with Wymondham Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 261
1871 238
1881 209
1901 165
1911 207
1921 173
1931 195
topup

Schools

  • A school was built in the parish in 1838. This school was rebuilt 1863 at the cost of William Ann POCHIN. It could hold 100 children.