Hide

Evington

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"EVINGTON, a parish in Billesdon district, Leicestershire; near the Midland railway, 3 miles ESE of Leicester. Post town, Thurnby, under Leicester. Acres, 1,360. Real property, £4,578. Pop., 275. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. Evington Hall is the seat of the Colmans. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £80. Patron, the. Bishop of Peterborough. The church is good; and there are a Calvinistic chapel and a free school."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72".

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 589
1861 R.G. 9 / 2254
1871 R.G. 10 / 3228
1891 R.G. 12 / 2494 & 2495
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Denis (Denys).
     
  • The church chancel was rebuilt in 1867.
     
  • The entire church was thoroughly restored in 1884.
     
  • The church seats 350.
     
  • David KELLY has a photograph of St. Denys Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2001.
     
  • Stephen SWEENEY also has a photograph of St. Denys Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2011.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1601.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Gartree (second portion).
     
  • The Calvanistic Methodists built a gothic chapel here in 1837. It appears that the Particular Baptists took over this chapel by 1912.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the Baptist Church in Evington on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Evington is a village and a parish on the edge of the conurbation of Leicester City. It lies 3 miles east of Leicester center and about a mile north of Watling Street. The parish covered about 1,190 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, Evington village is at the B667 arterial road where it meets the A47 out of Leicester city.
     
You can see pictures of Evington which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Evington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Manors

  • Evington Hall was the residence of Henry Freeman COLEMAN in 1849.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK626030 (Lat/Lon: 52.621166, -1.076733), Evington which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • The War Memorial stands at the north-east corner of Evington Village Green. It was unveiled on 25 July 1920.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2007.
     
  • J. THOMAS also has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken inMay, 2014.
     
  • There are 5 Commonwealth War Graves in Evington churchyard: all from World War Two.
     
topup

Military Records

The Commonwealth War Graves (data from www.CWGC.org) are for:

Name Rank Unit Died Family
Roland Victor COLLINGTON serjeant Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers 11 Jan. 1944 Age 27, husband of Eileen Agnes COLLINGTON
Walter T. HOLDING petty officer stoker H.M.S. Nimrod 13 Dec. 1941  
Arthur Henfrey JONES driver Royal Army Service Corps 8 July 1942 Age 35, husband of Eleanor JONES
Richard YOUNG WARD craftsman Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers 22 Mar. 1947 Age 37, husband of Blanche Emily WARD
Noel Vincent Blundell WHITEHOUSE squadron leader RAF 8 Aug. 1944 Age 26, husband of Grace Wallis WHITEHOUSE
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire. When civil administartion was introduced, it became a Civil Parish like most others.
     
  • This place was in the ancient Gartree Hundred (or Wapentake) in the southern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • In 1881, this parish covered 1,360 acres. By 1891, that had been reduced to 1,190 acres.
     
  • In April, 1936, this parish was abolished and divided between Leicester Civil Parish (1,019 acres), Oadby Civil Parish (155 acres) and Stroughton Civil Parish (17 acres).
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the East Norton petty session hearings the first Friday of each month..
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Billesdon Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 177
1811 222
1821 257
1831 260
1841 285
1851 293
1871 310
1881 450
1891 239
1901 248
1911 958
1921 1,072
1931 1,802
topup

Schools

  • The parish boasted two Free Schools in 1849.
     
  • One of the Free Schools was replaced by a Public Elementary School built in 1859 for 70 children.
     
  • Judgemeadow Community College is a mixed academy secondary school. The English young-adult novelist Bali Rai was a student at this school.