Hide

Gaddesby

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"GADDESBY, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on an affluent of the river Wreak, 3 miles SSE of Brooksby r. station, and 6 SW of Melton-Mowbray. It has a post office under Melton - Mowbray. Acres, 1,657. Real property, £3,393. Pop., 341. Houses, 68. The property is divided among a few. Gaddesby Hall is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Rothley, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is ancient, and has a lofty spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £26."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72.

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Roger TEMPLEMAN has a photograph of the churchyard at St. Luke's on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Somerby sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2299
1871 R.G. 10 / 3292
1891 R.G. 12 / 2543
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael (other sources list St. Luke).
     
  • The date of construction is unknown, but probably from the 14th century.
     
  • The church seats 350.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of St. Luke's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the church interior on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1568.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Goscote (second portion).
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here prior to 1849. The Methodist chapel was demolished in 1966.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Somerby sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Gaddesby is a village and a parish, 3 miles southeast of Rearsby, 6.5 miles southwest of Melton Mowbray, and 10 miles northeast of Leicester city. The parish covered 4,688 acres in 1961.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A46 north out of Leicester to the A607 arterial road and turn right (east). At Rearsby, take the B674 road east (right) and go about a mile and a half. Gaddesby will be on your left.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
     
You can see pictures of Gaddesby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Gaddesby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Much of the parish land was used for grazing.
     
  • Many farmers produced Stilton cheese here.
     
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of the Memorial plaque to Colonel Edward H. CHENEY on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2019. CHENEY fought at Waterloo.
     
  • The Cheney Arms Inn on the south end of the village was named after the local hero of Waterloo. "Bikeboy" has a photograph of the Cheney Arms on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
     
topup

Manors

  • Gaddesby Hall is a fine brick structure and was the seat of the CHENEY family.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the gateway to Gaddesby Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK688132 (Lat/Lon: 52.712098, -0.983038), Gaddesby which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • J. HANNAH-BRIGGS has a photograph of the monument to Colonel Edward Hawkins CHENEY on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2012. Colonel CHENEY of the Scots Guards fought at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.  He died in the first quarter of 1848 and is buried in Gaddesby.
     
  • In 1925, Captain John R. Wood ROBINSON resided in this parish.
     
  • Also residing in the parish in 1925, Captain James Oswald SHERRARD.
     
  • The War Memorial was erected in the churchyard in 1925. It was dedicated in 1926 by Major-General John VAUGHAN. It was recently rated as a Grade II structure by English Heritage.
     
  • John SUTTON has a photograph of the War Memorial on the path to the church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2012.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
     
  • Gaddesby Hall was used by the American Armed Forces during the Second World War.
     
  • The British Legion donated a round concrete Blacker Bombard anti tank gun mount to the parish after World War II. It sits on the corner of Main Street and Nether End in the village.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Blacker Bombard mount on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.  The inscription reads:
     
1939 - 1945
THE REMAINS OF A BLACKER BOMBARD ANTI TANK GUN MOUNTING SUPPLIED TO GADDESBY, ASHBY FOLVILLE AND BARSBY HOME GUARD, FORMED IN 1940 AGAINST THE THREAT OF A GERMAN INVASION
PRESENTED BY TWYFORD AND DISTRICT BRITISH LEGION
topup

Military Records

Inside the church there is a marble carving of Colonel Edward Hawkins CHENEY CB astride a wounded horse pointing forwards with sword in right hand. Relief carved into pedestal beneath of deceased defending regimental colours from French officer. The horse is presumed to be "Tannar", one of four horses killed under him at the Battle of Waterloo, 18 June 1815.

Edwar H. CHENEY was born 4 Nov. 1778 in Meynels Langley, DBY. He was the second son of Robert CHENEY. He joined the Royal Scotts Greys, 2nd Dragoons, in Holland in 1794 (he was 16). He was eventually promoted to Colonel. At Waterloo he had four horses shot out from under him and the fifth one was wounded. Command of the regiment had devolved on him.

Edward H. CHENEY had married Eliza AYRE, youngest daughter of John AYRE, in Gaddesby in 1811. He died in Gaddesby on 3 March 1848 and is presumed to be buried on the grounds of Gaddesby Hall.

The CB after his name designates: "Companion Of The Order Of The Bath."

topup

Names, Geographical

  • The village is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Gadesbi," a hamlet with a single mill.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient chapelry of the county and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient East Goscote Hundred in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • In August, 1882, the parish was enlarged by receiving the "Cheney Arms" portion of Ashby Folville Civil Parish.
     
  • In April, 1936, this parish was enlarged by 1,796 acres with the abolition of Ashby Folville as a Civil Parish.
     
  • In April, 1936, this parish was enlarged by 1,147 acres with the abolition of Barsby as a Civil Parish.
     
  • You may contact the local Parish Council regarding civic or political matters, but they are NOT funded to help you with family history searches.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1760.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 331
1861 341
1871 280
1881 241
1891 240
1901 301
1911 273
1921 271
1931 249
1961 658
topup

Schools

  • A Board School (later termed a Public Elementary School) was built here prior to 1881. It could hold up to 70 students.