Hide

Garthorpe

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"GARTHORPE, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; 2 miles NNE of Saxby r. station, and 5½ ENE of Melton-Mowbray. Post town, Coston, under Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1,714. Real property, £1,859. Pop., 113. Houses, 23. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £140. Patron, the Earl of Dysart. The church is good. Charities, £10."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-1872"

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 587
1861 R.G. 9 / 2304
1871 R.G. 10 / 3298
1891 R.G. 12 / 2546
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
     
  • The church construction date is unreported, but was prior to 1600.
     
  • The church is built of stone.
     
  • The church was restored in 1895.
     
  • The church seats 200.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St.Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St.Mary's Church tower on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1568.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Framland (second portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Garthorpe is a small village and a parish 6 miles east-north-east of Melton Mowbray and 118 miles north of London. The parish is in the Wold Hills and is just a few miles from the border with Lincoln county to the east and Rutland county to the south. The River Eye, here a small stream, runs through the parish and the parish covers about 1,635 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the B676 arterial road east out of Melton Mobray toward Colsterworth (Lincolnshire). The road bisects the north end of Garthorpe village.
     
  • For more information on the village, see the Wikipedia entry.
     
You can see pictures of Garthorpe which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Garthorpe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Some of the parish land was held in pasturage, the rest in grain crops.
     
topup

Manors

  • The webpage author could find no mention of a Manor House or Hall in Garthorpe.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK832209 (Lat/Lon: 52.779282, -0.767984), Garthorpe which are provided by:

topup

Military History

There is a paper Roll of Honour with elaborate decoration in wooden frame mounted in Saint Mary's Church.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of the county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Framland Hundred in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1936, this parish was enlarged when Coston Civil Parish was abolished and 1,766 acres were amalgamated with Garthorpe parish for administration.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 135
1861 113
1871 128
1881 120
1891 125
1901 188
1911 71
1921 106
1931 92
1951 138
1961 138
2001 92
topup

Schools

  • Some children of this parish attended school at Wymondham.
     
  • In 1876 a Board School (later a Public Elementary School) was built for this parish and Coston parish.