Hide

Gilroes

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"GILROE, or Gilroes, an extra-parochial tract in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester. Real property, £503. Pop., 12. Houses, 2."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • A cemetery of 40 acres was opened in 1902 and was under the control of the Leicester burial board. It had a crematorium and two mortuary chapels.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of Gilroes Cemetery entrance on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of Gilroes Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of the driveway at Gilroes Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
     
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Rothley sub-district of the Barrow upon Soar Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print. Volume 21 covers the Rothley sub-district.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2281
1871 R.G. 10 / 3265
1891 R.G. 12 / 2521 & 2522
topup

Church History

  • The webpage author could find no record of an Anglican parish church in Gilroes.
     
  • Parishioners attended Saint Leonard's Church in Leicester city.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The church would have been in the rural deanery of East Akeley.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Rothley sub-district of the Barrow upon Soar Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Gilroes is a village and a parish about 1.5 miles north-west of the city of Leicester on the Groby Road, 110 miles north of London and 5 miles south of Loughborough. The village sits just west of the River Soar. The parish area was always very small and typically covered 178 acres.

You can see pictures of Gilroes which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Gilroes has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The village has existed since Saxon times and a Saxon cross stands in the churchyard.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK563066 (Lat/Lon: 52.654214, -1.16917), Gilroes which are provided by:

topup

Medical Records

  • The Leicester Borough Isolation Hosp. was not required by law to archive patient records. It is unknown if any records survive from this institution.
     
  • The hospital became part of the National Health Service and was in operation during World War II.
     
topup

Military History

There is 1 Commonwealth War Grave in Gilroes Cemetery: from World War Two.

topup

Military Records

The Commonwealth War Grave (data from www.CWGC.org) is for:

Name Rank Unit Died Family
Alan Walter BROWN sergeant 226 Sqdn, RAF Volun. Reserve 25 Nov. 1943 Age 19
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient extra-parochial tract and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1858.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient West Goscote Hundred.
     
  • The parish was in the Mid division of the county.
     
  • The whole of the parish was purchased by the city of Leicester in 1897. One portion of the parish was set aside for an Isolation Hospital. The hospital had 200 beds, with another 80 beds reserved for a Small Pox Hospital.
     
  • In April, 1935, the parish was abolished and 185 acres amalgamated into Leicester Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this place became part of the Barrow-upon-Soar Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

The 1901 population total includes 93 patients in the hospital and 37 staff members.

 Year Inhabitants
1811 4
1841 19
1871 10
1881 27
1891 34
1901 154
1911 156
topup

Schools

  • The children of this parish attended school in Leicester city.