Hide

Groby

hide
Hide

John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72":

"GROBY, or GROOBY, a village and a chapelry in Ratby parish, Leicestershire. The village stands near the Leicester and Swannington railway, 4½ miles WNW of Leicester; was once a market town; and has a post office under Leicester. The chapelry has a peculiar ecclesiastical jurisdiction. Real property, £3,889; of which £825 are in quarries. Pop., 461. house, 86. The manor belonged, in the Confessor's time, to Ulfi; belonged afterwards to Hugo de Grantesmaisnel, who built a castle on it; passed to the Greys of Groby and Bradgate; was the birth place of Lady Jane Grey; and belongs now to the Earl of Stamford. The castle was demolished about the year 1176; and is now represented by only a minnd."
Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

The Groby Community Library in Leicester Road is a branch of the Leicester County Council Library System. It is open 6 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting) and has section on Local History and Family History to assist you.

topup

Cemeteries

The Groby Parish Cemetery is just south of the village near the M1 Motorway. Ian S. has a photograph of the Cemetery Entrance on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.

Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Cemetery Chapel at Groby on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Ibstock sub-district of the Market Bosworth Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 602
1861 R.G. 9 / 2266
1871 R.G. 10 / 3242
1891 R.G. 12 / 2507
topup

Church History

  • The church dates from 1840 and stands on the site of Groby Castle. It was erected as a chapel of ease from Ratby church.
     
  • A new chancel for the church was built in 1912.
     
  • The church seats 300.
     
  • Michael PRATT has a photograph of St. Philip and St. James Church on Geo-graph, taken in September 2007.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of St. Philip and St. James Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1840.
     
  • The Congregationaists built a chapel here in 1858.
     
  • There is a United Reformed Church in Grooby.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Market Bosworth Registration District from 1896 to 1974.
     
  • The parish was in the Ibstock sub-district of the Market Bosworth Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

This village and parish lie just 2.5 miles east of Glenfield and 5 miles north-west of the city of Leicester. The parish covers about 2,074 acres.

The southern side of the village is dominated by new housing estates, but the old village centre still retains some character. No remains are left of Groby Castle, other than a slight rise in ground to the East of the main church building. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the M1 Motorway to the A50 trunk road north of Leicester. The village is on the A50.
     
  • The parish had rail service in 1912, but only for freight.
     
  • Visit the 38-acre Groby Pool, which lies just north of the village, across the Motorway. Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Car Park at Groby Pool on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2014.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Ratby Road on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
     
  • Groby has Six Additional Commandments for all visitors.
     
  • The village has its own website with local news and events.
You can see pictures of Groby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Groby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • There were granite and slate quarries here in the 1800s.
     
  • Groby Castle once stood here, but now there is only a mound to mark the spot.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of Martinshaw Wood on the west side of the village on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2006.
     
topup

Manors

  • Bradgate House was the property of Mrs. Katherine H. V. GREY in 1912 (and through 1925). It was built in 1856.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK524075 (Lat/Lon: 52.662694, -1.226674), Groby which are provided by:

topup

Military History

In the Anglican church chancel a tablet was erected to the memory of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18,

There are three Commonwealth War Graves in Groby churchyard. Two from World War I and one from World War II.

topup

Military Records

The three Commonwealth War Graves (data from www.CWGC.org) are for:

Name Rank Unit Died Family
John Henry RICHARDS Serjeant Royal Armoured Corps 13 June 1942 Age 33, husband of Dorothy Rosa RICHARDS.
Thomas A. SLINGSBY sapper Royal Engineers 07 Sept. 1919 Age 34, son of William and Eliza SLINGSBY.
W. SPENCER pioneer Royal Engineers 26 Aug. 1919  
topup

Names, Geographical

  • The name Groby is from the Old Scandanavian grub+by, meaning "pit or mine hamlet".
    A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
     
  • The name is pronounced "GROO-bi".
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was incorporated as a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1896.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Sparkenhoe Hundred of the mid section of the county.
     
  • The parish council meets at Village Hall on Leicester Road. Michael PRATT has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in October 2007
     
  • The parish coucil has a website at: Groby Council. There is no family history information at the site.
     
  • The Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council provides district governance.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Market Bosworth Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1891 849
1901 928
1921 887
1931 1,122
1951 1,929
1961 3,035
1971 4,333
topup

Schools

  • A Public Elementary School was built here in 1873 to hold 123 children.