Hide

Gumley

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"GUMLEY, a parish in Market Harborough district, Leicester; near the Union Canal, 4 miles N of Theddingworth r. station, and 4½ NW by N of Market Harborough. Post town, Market Harborough. Acres, 1,550. Real property, £2,793. Pop., 214. House 50. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir William Hartopp, Bart. Gumley Hall also belongs to Sir William, but is occupied by Viscount Ingestre; and it commands extensive views. The parish is noted for its fox earths; and it has a chalybeate spring, and a reservoir of the Union Canal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £390. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is old but good; consists of nave, chancel, aisle, and porches; and has a square tower, with octagonal spire. Charities, £25."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales', 1870-72

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2250
1871 R.G. 10 / 3226
1891 R.G. 12 / 2491
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Helen.
     
  • The church dates from the 14th century.
     
  • The church was restored in 1875.
     
  • The church seats 140.
     
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of the Church of St Helen on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2011.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1698 for baptisms; marriages from 1704 and burials from 1700.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Gartree (first portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Gumley is a parish and a village in Leicestershire. It is 100 miles north of London, 13 miles south-east of Leicester city and 4.5 miles north-west of Market Harborough. The parish covers just over 1,360 acres. The Saddington Reservoir lies to the north-west of the village and is partly within the parish.

The village sits in the hills just north-west above the Grand Union Canal. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, it is probably easiest to take the A50 trunk road south out of Leicester city for about 12 miles and turn left at Mowsley and continue to Gumley.
     
  • The Grand Union Canal passes through the south of the parish
     .
You can see pictures of Gumley which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Gumley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish was first recorded in 749.
     
  • King Offa visited Gumley in 772 and 779.
     
  • The Saddington Reservoir was built between 1793 and 1797. The southern part lies in Gumley parish. It was built as a catchment basin for the Grand Union Canal. The reservoir covers about 60 acres.
     
  • The parish was known for centuries for its foxearths.
     
  • The parish was largely used for grazing land.
     
  • Nigel COX has a photograph of the Grand Union Canal, Bridge No. 60 on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2014.
     
  • Matt FASCIONE has a photograph of the Bell Inn on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
     
topup

Land & Property

  • Major Thomas Guy Frederick PAGET (1886- 1952) owned land in this parish.
     
topup

Manors

  • Gumley Hall is a large red-brick manor house with excellent views around the county. The Hall was built in 1764 for Joseph CRADDOCK.
     
  • In 1912, it was the residence and property of George Murray SMITH, lord of the manor.
     
  • During World War II the Hall was used for training resistance fighters and for Special Operations Executive.
     
  • After the war Leonard CHESHIRE was given the use of the Hall for those servicemen returning homeless after demobilisation.
     
  • The Hall became dilapidated and was demolished in 1964.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP680901 (Lat/Lon: 52.504567, -0.99962), Gumley which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • A war memorial was erected in 1920 by public subscription on the hill north-west of the village.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the War Memorial west of the village on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2007.
     
  • Colin PARK has a similar photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2009.
     
  • And ANDREW TATLOW has a photograph of the War Memorial plaque on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2013.
     
topup

Military Records

ANDREW TATLOW has a photograph of the names on War Memorial List on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2013.

And the second plaque is List 2 on Geo-graph, again taken in June, 2013.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish is in the ancient Gartree Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • The citizens of this parish have decided to forgo a formal Parish Council. Instead, they hold periodic Parish Meetings of all concerned citizens to discuss civic and political issues..
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Harborough petty session hearings held every other Tuesday.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Market Harborough Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 224
1841 240
1871 265
1881 232
1891 169
1901 201
1911 172
1921 133
1931 148
1951 183
topup

Schools

  • The Public Elementary School was built in 1864 for 53 children. The school closed in 1933.