Hide

Harston

hide
Hide

"HARSTON, or HARESTON, a parish in the district of Grantham and county of Leicester; adjacent to Lincoln, near Belvoir Castle, 6 miles WNW of Grantham station. Post town, Woolsthorpe, under Grantham. Acres, 1,009. Real property, £1,408. Pop., 164. Houses, 35. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborongh. Value, £282. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has an embattled tower, and is good. There is a national school.

from John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72".

Hide

Note: There is a parish called Harston in Cambridgeshire, also.

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Denton sub-district of the Grantham (Lincoln) Registration District.
     
  • After the Registration District was re-organized in 1891, the parish was in the Grantham North sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 587
1861 R.G. 9 / 2348
1871 R.G. 10 / 3356
1891 R.G. 12 / 2583
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels.
     
  • The church was apparently built before 1602.
     
  • The church chancel was rebuilt in 1871.
     
  • The church nave was rebuilt in 1888.
     
  • The church seats 120.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St. Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
     
  • Richard CROFT also has a photograph of St. Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.
     
  • The church is listed Grade II* with English Heritage.
     
  • Richard CROFT also has a photograph of a Celtic Cross and the Church lychgate on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2008.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1707.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Framland (first portion).
     
  • Harston marriages from 1562-1837 are in Pallot's Marriage Index.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Denton sub-district of the Grantham (Lincoln) Registration District.
     
  • After the Registration District was re-organized in 1891, the parish was in the Grantham North sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Harston is both a parish and a village about 116 miles north of London, 5 miles southeast of Redmile and on the border with Lincolnshire. The parish coers just over 1,040 acres.

The River Devon flows past the village. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A607 trunk road southwest out of Grantham for about 3 miles to Denton. Pass through Denton village and take the back roads to Harston.
     
You can see pictures of Harston which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Harston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Ironstone was mined here in great quantities in the 1800s and 1900s.
     
topup

Manors

  • Harston Hall was the residence of Alexander H. WHEELER in 1912.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK839318 (Lat/Lon: 52.877136, -0.754811), Harston which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • The parish was in the eastern division of the county in the ancient Framland Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • In April, 1936, this Civil Parish was abolished and all 1,041 acres amalgamated into Belvior Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Grantham Poor Law Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Belvoir petty session hearings.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 136
1841 181
1851 177
1861 164
1871 162
1881 165
1891 159
1901 182
1911 157
1921 184
1931 182
topup

Schools

  • A National School was built here in 1835.
     
  • The old National School was rebuilt in 1868 as a Public Elementary School and was enlarged in 1901 to hold 75 children. The school is now closed and has been sold as a private residence.