Description in 1871:
"HOBY, a village and a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester. The village stands on the river wreak, adjacent to Brooksby r. station, 6 miles W by S of Melton-Mowbray; and has a post office under Leicester. The parish comprises 1,060 acres. Real property, £2,900. Pop., 369. Houses, 79. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Thomas Paget, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Rotherby, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £800. Patron, Mrs. A. Beresford. The church comprises nave and aisles, with a tower and spire; and was restored in 1856. There arc a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £20."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]
- The parish was in the Melton Mowbray sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
- In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
- The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 24 covers the Melton sub-district which includes Hoby.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2301|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3295|
|1881||R.G. 11 / 3183|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2544|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The date of construction is unknown, but believed to be 13th or 14th century.
- The church is a Grade I structure with English Heritage.
- There is the base of a medieval cross in the churchyard. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Churchyard cross on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
- The church was repaired in 1842.
- The church was restored in 1862-63.
- The church nave was restored in 1900-04.
- The church seats 200.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
- And David KELLY has a different view of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2010.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1538 (another source gives 1562).
- The church is in the rural deanery of Goscote (second portion).
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here prior to 1849.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2014.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Melton Mowbray sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1934.
- In 1934, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
Hoby is a village and a township, and was a parish, 6 miles west of Melton Mowbray, 9 miles north-east of Leicester city and 108 miles north of London. The parish covered 1,691 acres.
The village sits on the north bank of the River Wreake. If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A607 arterial road west out of Melton Mobray. Turn right at Rotherby and go across the Wreake River into Hoby.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hoby to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hoby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Much of the parish land was used for grazing.
- The Blue Bell Inn was a popular spot for catching up on local news and gossip. The Inn still operates.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Blue Bell Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
- These are the names associated with the Blue Bell Inn in various directories:
Year Person 1846 William HENSON, vict. 1849 William HENSON, cooper 1861 William HENSON, cooper and vict. 1881 Thomas HENSON, joiner 1912 Thomas HENSON 1925 Thomas HENSON
Thomas HENSON, above, was born circa 1846 in Hoby, LEI, and married Eliza Ann of Kibworth, circa 1873.
- The other Inn in the village was the Rutland Arms. Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Rutland Arms on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2014. It is now known as "The Old Rutland".
- These are the names associated with the Rutland Arms P. H. in various directories:
Year Person 1846 Mary HICKLING, vict. 1849 Mrs. Mary HICKLING, shopkeeper 1861 Mary HICKLING, vict. 1881 Obadiah CRAMP 1912 Matthew BAILEY 1925 Matthew ALLEN
Obadiah CRAMP, above, was born in Seagrave, LEI, circa 1843. He married Emma, from Rothley, some time before 1881.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK669174 (Lat/Lon: 52.750086, -1.010304), Hoby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- There are two War Memorial windows in the church chancel and one in the nave. There is also a tablet on the church wall, unveiled by Admiral Earl BEATTY in June, 1920, in memory of the 11 men of the village who fell in the Great War.
There is a "BERESFORD" family memorial in the parish church which includes "FLT LIEUT HUGH RICHARD ADEN BERESFORD, 1915-1940, KILLED IN THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN
There is also a Bronze plaque in an alabaster frame in the church. Dedicated 30 May 1920, it lists the 11 men who died in World War I.
- This place was an ancient parish of the county and a modern Civil Parish as well, until 1936.
- The parish was in the ancient East Goscote Hundred in the northern division of the county.
- In 1881, the parish covered 1,060 acres. This was enlarged by 1891 to 1,691 acres.
- In April, 1936, this parish was abolished and the 1,691 acres amalgamated with Rotherby to create the new Hoby with Rotherby Civil Parish.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1760.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
Year Inhabitants 1841 392 1861 369 1871 327 1881 311 1891 290 1901 285 1911 294 1921 249 1931 229