Hide

Holwell

hide
Hide

Description in 1849:
"HOLWELL. is a chapelry in the parish of Ab-Kettleby, 3 and 1/2 miles north-north-west from Melton Mowbray, and contains 156 inhabitants. The chapel is a small building, with a turret and 1 bell; the Rev. John Hardinge, B.A., of Ab-Kettleby, officiates. There is a chalybeate spring in the neighbourhood, called Holwell Mouth. The Earl of Dysart is lord of the manor. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans."
["Post Office Directory Leicester & Rutlandshire," 1849]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Clawson sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2302
1871 R.G. 10 / 3296
1891 R.G. 12 / 2545
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was built as a Chapel of Ease.
     
  • In 1925, the Chapel is refered to as "ancient". Most sources give it a construction date of the 13th century.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Church of St. Leonard on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.
     
  • The church is a Grade II* structure with English Heritage.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The church is in the rural deanery of Framland (third portion).
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1877.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the former Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Clawson sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Holwell is a village, a township, a chapelry and was a parish 3.5 miles northwest of Melton Mowbray. The River Smith rises in this place. The parish covered about 1,220 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A606 trunk road north out of Melton Mobray. Turn right (east) at Ab Kettleby and go about 1 mile to find Holwell village.
     
  • Drivers are cautioned to stay on the roadways due to mineshafts in the area.
     
You can see pictures of Holwell which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Holwell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish has (had) a chalybeate spring in the neighbourhood, called Holwell mouth. Thus the name of the parish!
     
  • Most of the parish land was held in pasturage. Much of the remaining land was used for small farms.
     
  • Small scale iron mining, in open pits, occurred here in the 1800s and early 1900s.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK734238 (Lat/Lon: 52.806601, -0.912724), Holwell which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry in Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Framland Hundred in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • On 24 March, 1884, the parish was enlarged from parcels from both Ab Kettleby Civil Parish and the Landlike Lane section of Wartnaby Civil Parish.
     
  • On 1 April, 1936, Holwell Civil Parish was abolished and the 1,408 acres went to Ab Kettleby Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 156
1871 147
1881 268
1891 238
1901 272
1911 249
1921 199
1931 191
topup

Schools

  • The webpage author could find no record of a school in this small parish.