Hide

Hose

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"HOSE, a parish, with a village, in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on the Grantham canal, adjacent to Notts, 7 miles N of Melton-Mowbray r. station. Posttown, Harby, under Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 2,140. Real property, £3,859. Pop., 477. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. Hose Grange is a meet for the Belvoir hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £105. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is ancient, has a pinnacled tower, and was recently in disrepair. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-1872]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Clawson sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 587
1861 R.G. 9 / 2302
1871 R.G. 10 / 3296
1891 R.G. 12 / 2545
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Michael and All Saints.
     
  • The church is often simply called "Saint Michael's".
     
  • The church was built around the 14th century.
     
  • The church was restored in 1887.
     
  • The church tower was restored in 1908.
     
  • The church seats 200.
     
  • Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of St. Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2012.
     
  • Kate JEWELL captures Sheep grazing in the churchyard at Geograph, taken in August, 2005.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1625.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Framland (third portion).
     
  • The Baptists had a chapel built here in 1818.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Hose Baptist Church at Geograph, taken in October, 2016.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Clawson sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Hose is a small parish which lies 124 miles north of London and about 6 miles north of Melton Mobray. The parish was a rough rectangle shape, with a long north-south axis and a narrow east-west width. The parish covered 2,337 acres and bordered Nottinghamshire on the north.

The Grantham Canal passes just west of the village, but it is just a vestige of its former glory. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, from the A606 trunk road, turn northeast at Nether Broughton and pass thru Long Clawson to arrive at Hose.
     
  • Bus servide runs through the village connecting it to Melton and to Bottesford.
     
  • Check out the Village Home Page for current activities.
     
  • One may wish to stop for refreshment at the Rose and Crown Public House.
     
  • The Village Green boasts a large Chestnut tree and a blacksmith to demonstrate the trade.
     
  • Kate JEWELL provides a photograph of the village green on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2005.
     
You can see pictures of Hose which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Hose has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish used to have a wharf on the Grantham Canal.
     
  • Ironstone was found in this parish.
     
  • The parish was mostly pastureland.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK737295 (Lat/Lon: 52.857937, -0.906544), Hose which are provided by:

topup

Military Records

There are two Commonwealth War Graves in Holy Trinity churchyard, one from each World War:

  1. Freeling Henry ALLEN, pirv., Northumberland Fusiliers, age 19, died 27 Nov. 1918. Son of Thomas and Alice E. ALLEN.
     
  2. Frederick BAXTER, gunner, 82nd Light AA Regt., age 36, died 29 Nov. 1946. Husband of Ida Amelia BAXTER.
     

Freeling Henry ALLEN was born in Hose in 1900.

topup

Politics & Government

  • The parish was in the Framland Hundred (Wapentake) in the northern division of the county.
     
  • This parish was an "ancient parish" of Leicestershire.
     
  • In April, 1936, the parish of Hose was abolished and all 2,337 acres were used to create Clawson and Harby Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 417
1871 403
1881 438
1891 408
1901 443
1911 441
1921 427
1931 421
topup

Schools

  • A Church of England Primary School (National School) stands on Bolton Lane in Hose. It was built in 1845 on the south side of the church and was enlarged in 1881 to hold 81 children.