Hide

Hugglescote

hide
Hide

from John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72":

HUGGLESCOTE, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Ibstock parish, Leicester. The village stands 1 mile W of Bardon r. station, and 6 SE of Ashby-de-la-Zouch; and has a post office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The township includes the hamlet of Donington, and bears the name of Hugglescote and Donington. Acres, 2,589. Real property, £5,104; of which £190 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,014; in 1861, 1,227. Houses, 265. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Hastings. The chapelry is annexed to the rectory of Ibstock in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is old and has a tower. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • A new 6 acre civil cemetery was set aside in 1908 by the Coalville Urban District Council.
     
  • The cemetery was under the control of the Burial Board of the Coalville Urban District Council.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Cemetery Gates on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2015.
     
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Whitwick sub-district of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch registration district.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2271
1871 R.G. 10 / 3250 & 3253
1891 R.G. 12 / 2521
topup

Church History

  • The original Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint James and was built in 1776.
     
  • That church was replaced in 1878 when a new church was constructed.
     
  • The new Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
     
  • The church seats 600.
     
  • Steve ROWE has a photograph of St. John's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2007.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of St. John's Church and the Lych Gate on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2015.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1583 and is in fair condition.
     
  • The parish church was in the rural deanery of South Akeley (Sparkenhoe first division).
     
  • The Baptists founded a chapel here by 1789 and replaced it with a larger chapel in 1875. That building is now closed and the congregation meets in the primary school.
     
  • The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has a list of the Baptists membership roll.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built here in 1831 and extended it in 1891.
     
  • The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1875.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Whitwick sub-district of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch registration district.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Hugglescote is a large village, a township and a parish in north-west Leicestershire, England, on the River Sence. The parish lies 6 miles south-east of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, 11 miles north of Leicester and 115 miles north of London. The parish covered 2.233 acres in 1900.

The village is now part of the conurbation of Coalville. If you are planning a visit:

You can see pictures of Hugglescote which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Hugglescote has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish had a coal seam only 70 yards below the surface.
     
  • The gas works was established here in 1877.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK426129 (Lat/Lon: 52.712483, -1.370888), Hugglescote which are provided by:

topup

Military History

In Hugglescote civil Cemetery are 3 Commonwealth War Graves from World War I and 7 from World War II.

In the Baptist Church is a large stone tablet with elaborate frame, flanked by two tablets with WW2 names. Also in the Baptist Church is a table inscribed "To the Fallen", dedicated to those men who lost their lives in World War I.

topup

Military Records

These are the fallen in the Commonwealth War Graves (data from www.CWGC.org):

Name Rank Unit Died Other Info.
James Thomas BISHOP Co. Serjeant Major Army Service Corps 17 Feb. 1916 Age 27, Husband of Ethel May BISHOP.
Kenneth EDWARDS Sergeant RAF Vol. Resrv. 24 July 1943 Age 20. Son of Joseph and Elizabeth Mary Jane EDWARDS.
John Henry FINCH Warrant Officer Class II R.Q.M.S.Pioneer Corps 11 Feb. 1943 Age 49. Husband of Dorothy Lilian FINCH, of Coalville.
Frank HARES Air Bomber RAF Vol. Resrv. 214 Sqdn 04 Mar. 1945 Age 21. Son of James and Beatrice Mary HARES.
George William JARVIS private 1st Bn., Royal Leics Regt. 27 Dec. 1947 Age 27. Husband of Irene JARVIS.
George William KNIGHT Sergeant RAF, 4 Sqdn 04 May 1941 Age 21. Son of Ernest and Helen KNIGHT.
Alonzo Charles PLATTS Lieutenant Leics Regt. 26 Apr. 1943 Age 42. Son of Freeman and Rhoda PLATTS.
Ralph Geoffrey SAUNDERS Gunner Royal Artillery 12 Oct. 1946 Age 35. Husband of Doris May SAUNDERS, of Coalville.
Thomas SLEATH private 2nd Bn., Royal Leics Regt. 14 Nov. 1915 Husband of Louisa SLEATH of Loughborough.
John "Jack" SMITH Driver Royal Army Service Corps H.T. 27 Feb. 1919 Age 25, Son of Joseph and Catherine SMITH.
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient township and Chapelry in Ibstock parish in Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Sparkenhoe Hundred in the Loughborough division of the county.
     
  • On 1 April, 1936, the Civil Parish was abolished and all 2,200 acres amalgamated into Coalville CIvil Parish.
     
  • In 2010, the Civil Parish of Hugglescote and Donington le Heath was reinstated. The new parish council met in 2011 for the first time.
     
  • You may contact the local Parish Council regarding civic and political matters, but they are unable to conduct family history searches for you.
     
  • District governance is provided by the North West Leicestershire Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • The Common Land here was enclosed in 1774.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Ashby-de-la-Zouch petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

Year Inhabitants
1871 2,327
1881 4,750
1891 6,049
1901 4,404
1911 5,659
topup

Schools

  • A National School (mixed) was built in 1848 and moved to a larger building in 1862.
     
  • An infansts school was added in 1883.
     
  • A Council school opened in 1915 for 480 children.