Hide

Humberstone

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"HUMBERSTONE, a village and a parish in Billesdon district, Leicestershire. The village stands near the Midland railway, 2½ miles ENE of Leicester; and has a post office under Leicester. The parish comprises 2,630 acres. Real property, £4,782. Pop., 515. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W.A. Pochin, Esq. The living is a vicaragein the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £200. Patron, the Rev.E. Waller. The church is old, was recent1y restored. has a tower and spire, and contains an old altartomb. There are two Methodist chapels, and charities £10."
John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the St. Barnabas Library on French Road in Humberstone, on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2007.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon registration district.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2254
1871 R.G. 10 / 3229
1891 R.G. 12 / 2494 & 2495
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
     
  • The church is in the Early English style and was built before 1405.
     
  • The church seats 120.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2010.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1683 but early parts are imperfect.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Goscote (first portion). This was latter called the Christianity Deanery.
     
  • The Congregationalists had a small chapel built here in 1851.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here by 1881.
     
  • The Primitive Methodists had a chapel here by 1881.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon registration district.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Humberstone is a rural village and parish which has been incorporated into the city of Leicester on its east side. It lies 105 miles north of London and only 2.5 miles east-by-north from the centre of Liecester city. The parish covered 1,175 acres in 1900.

The City of Leicester formally annexed the parish in 1935. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A47 arterial road east out of Leicester city. It cuts through the heart of what was once Humberstone village.
     
  • There used to be two railway sations for Humberstone, but passenger service discontinued prior to 1960.
     
You can see pictures of Humberstone which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Humberstone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • For centuries, most of the parish land was used for grazing.
     
topup

Manors

  • Humberstone Hall was the seat of Sir Maurice LEVY, M.P., in 1912.
     
  • There was also a Manor House in the parish, but the web page author has no details.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK626059 (Lat/Lon: 52.647233, -1.076184), Humberstone which are provided by:

topup

Medical Records

  • The Leicester Borough Lunatic Asylum opened here in September, 1869, on a 40 arcre parcel. In December, 1880, it held 392 patients.
     
  • The Asylum was later known as the Towers Hospital.
     
  • The Leicester Borough Lunatic Asylum stood in the area designated as West Humberstone and was thus incorporated into Leicester city in 1891.
     
  • A new wing was added to the structure in 1883 and another in 1890. In 1901 a new recreation hall and administrative offices were built and an additional 49 acres added to the grounds.
     
  • Most patients were transferred out in 1908 to the new Borough Asylum in Narborough.
     
  • The old Asylum was used by the Army in the Great War as a medical hospital. It was renamed the 5th Northern General Hospital. This hospital closed in 1919.
     
  • The facility was named the Towers Hospital in 1947.
     
  • Some patient records exist in the Leicester Records Office and the National Archives, but require a personal visit to access. All records are subject to the 100 year Closure Law.
     
  • Chris SHAW has a photographs of Humberstone Hospital on Geo-graph, taken in September 2005.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of the county and a modern Civil Parish until 1935.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient East Goscote Hundred (or Wapentake) in the eastern (or northern) division of the county.
     
  • By the "Leicester Extension Act of 1891, part of the Civil Parish of Humberstone was constituted as "West Humberstone" and was included in the Borough and parish of Leicester.
     
  • On 1 April, 1935, this Civil Parish was abolished and all the land amagamated into Leicester Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Billesdon Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 412
1811 399
1821 415
1831 470
1841 462
1851 480
1871 852
1881 333
1891 365
1901 385
1911 538
1921 847
topup

Schools

  • A National School (later a Public Elementary School) was built here prior in 1857 for 133 children.