Hide

Huncote

hide
Hide

Description in 1849:
"HUNCOTE, a village and township in the parish of Narborough, 6 1/2 miles south-west from Leicester, 6 west of Countesthorpe station, and 1/2 mile from Narborough, in the Hundred of Sparkenhoe, Union of Blaby, and diocese of Peterborough. Here is a chapel for Independents, and there was formerly a chapel of ease. In 1841 the population was 425; the acreage 854. The Earl of Stamford and Warrington is lord of the manor. On the brook is a large corn mill."
["Post Office Directory, Leicestershire and Rutland," 1849]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • A civic cemetery lies in Forest Road, just north of the village.. It was one acre, provided by the Parish Council in 1898.
     
  • The Cemetery is under the control of the parish council's burial board. Records are available from the Parish Clerk.
     
  • The nearest crematorium is at Gilroes Cemetery, Groby Road, Leicester. Records exist from 1902 and can be searched in person, or, for a fee, by request via Leicester City Council, New Walk Centre, Welford Place, Leic., LE1 6ZG.
     
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Enderby sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print. Volume 4 covers the Enderby subdistrict.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 602
1861 R.G. 9 / 2257
1871 R.G. 10 / 3233
1891 R.G. 12 / 2500
topup

Church History

  • In 1058, the Domesday Survey noted that there was a priest at Huncote, which implies that there was a church.
     
  • There was an ancient chapel (likely a "Chapel of Ease") at Huncote, dedicated to St. James. This chapel was in ruins by 1622.
     
  • Because Huncote was a part of the parish of Narborough for centuries, many locals used the church in Narborough.
     
  • A new Anglican parish church was built in Huncote in 1898 and dedicated to Saint James.
     
  • Construction of the church has never been officially completed, but it has been used for services since then.
     
  • The church seats 140.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1904 and is still held at the church. See the registers of Narborough church for events before that year.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (first portion).
     
  • The Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society may have indexed Huncote baptisms and burials.
     
  • The original records are held at the The Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland and include registers of baptisms from 1599 to 1984, marriages from 1609 to 1972 and burials from 1680 to 1937. Bishop's Transcripts are available from 1566 to 1847 (with gaps).
     
  • The Baptist chapel was built in Main St. in 1876.
     
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of the former Baptist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2019.
     
  • The Primitie Methodist chapel was founded here in 1874 and a new chapel built in 1907.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Enderby sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Huncote is a small town, a parish and was once a hamlet just outside the conurbation now known as Leicester city. It sits about 4 miles southwest of Leicester and 101 miles north of London. The parish covers 783 acres. A stream runs along the south edge of the village.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the B4114 arterial road southwest out of Leicester city and turn right at Narborough.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
     
You can see pictures of Huncote which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Huncote has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish was extensively quarried.
     
  • The Parish Council has a nice "pocket history" of Huncote online.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Red Lion Inn on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
     
topup

Manors

  • There was a manor house in the parish, but the author could find no description.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP517974 (Lat/Lon: 52.571973, -1.238599), Huncote which are provided by:

topup

Military History

The War Memorial is a brass mural tablet and was inserted in 1923 in St James' Church on the wall at the side of the High Altar in memory of the men of the parish who fell in thp Great War, 1914-18. Another plaque was added for those who were killed in WW11.

Huncote Cemetery contains one Commonwealth War Grave from the Great War World War I).

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was both an ancient parish in Leicestershire and a modern Civil Parish. The ancient parish designation lasted until about the 13th century, whereafter this place was considered a hamlet and later a township. In 1904, this place was converted to a new Civil Parish.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Sparkenhoe Hundred (or Wapentake) in the southern division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1935, this parish was reduced by 125 acres to enlarge Lubbesthorpe Civil Parish.
     
  • You may contact the local Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they will NOT do family history work for you.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Harborough District Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Blaby Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 425
1871 409
1881 462
1891 489
1901 539
1911 610
1921 612
1931 587
1951 536
1961 778
topup

Schools

  • The Huncote Community Primary School is on Denman Lane, LE9 3BS.
     
  • The school was used for Sunday religious services until the new church was built and consecrated.