Hide

Husbands Bosworth

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"BOSWORTH (Husbands), a village and a parish in Market-Harborough district, Leicester. The village stands adjacent to the rivers Welland and Avon, the Union canal, and the Northwestern railway, 1 mile E of Welford station, and 6 WSW of Market-Harborough; and has a post office under Rugby, and a fair on 16 Oct.-The parish comprises 3,870 acres. Real property, £7,830. Pop., 934. Houses, 211. The property is much subdivided. Bosworth Hall is an ancient mansion, the seat of the Turvilles. The Union canal passes through a tunnel in the parish, 1,170 yards long. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £966. Patron, J. W. Lamb, Esq. The church is early English, with tower and spire; was rent by lightning to the extent of 36 feet, in 1755; but is now good. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics. An endowed school has £15; other charities £77. Spencer, bishop of Norwich in the time of Richard II., was rector."
John Marius WILSON's, "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales', 1870-72

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • There was a cemetery of 1.5 acres with two chapels set aside here in 1858 on Wellford Road under the control of the parish council's burial board.
     
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2250
1871 R.G. 10 / 3225
1891 R.G. 12 / 2492
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
     
  • The church was probably built in the 13th century.
     
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1861 and again in 1867.
     
  • The church has a massive western tower with an octagonal broach spire.
     
  • The church tower and spire were restored in 1895.
     
  • The church seats 500.
     
  • Richard WILLIAMS has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1567.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Gartree (first portion).
     
  • A General Baptist chapel was founded here in 1793 and was rebuilt in 1807.
     
  • A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built here before 1848 and a new chapel built in 1912.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a picture of St. Mary's Catholic Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Husbands Bosworth is a parish, a township and a large village in Leicestershire. It is about 95 miles north of London, 14 miles south of Leicester city, 7 miles east of Lutterworth and 6.5 miles southwest of Market Harborough. The parish covers 3,560 acres. A branch of the River Welland forms the southeast border of the parish, dividing it from Northamptonshire. The River Avon is on the north-west border and the Grand Union canal, which flows through a large tunnel here, borders to the west.

The village is large and at the intersection of two main roads; the A50 and the A427. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, it is probably easiest to take the M1 Motorway to Lutterworth at Roundabout #20 and turn east onto the A427. Follow that past North Kibworth and continue into Husbands Bosworth.
     
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of the Husbands Bosworth Tunnel on the Grand Union Canal on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2009.
     
You can see pictures of Husbands Bosworth which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Husbands Bosworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish was largely used for grazing land.
     
  • In July 1616 nine witches of Husbands Bosworth were executed on the same day at Leicester gaol for being implicated in the bewitching of the grandson of Erasmus SMITH, Lord of the Manor of Bosworth.
     
  • Brick-making was a large employer here.
     
  • In the early 1900s, the village had steam-powered saw mills and a large lumber yard.
     
  • A fair for horses and cattle was held here each 16 October.
     
  • A hiring fair for workers and servants was held each September and January.
     
  • The Bell Inn was an 18th century coaching stop. Stephen SWEENEY has a photograph of the Bell Inn on Kilworth Road on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2016.
     
  • These are the names associated with The Bell Inn in various directories:
     
Year  Person
1881 -- Not Listed --
1912 Mrs. Mary Ann TEBBATT
1925 Mrs. Mary Ann TEBBATT
topup

Manors

  • In 1849, Roecliffe Hall was the residence of the dowager Lady HEYGATE.
     
  • In 1925, Bosworth Hall was the seat of Lt.-Col. of the Warwickshire Yeomanry, Oswald Henry Philip TURVILLE-PETRE.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP643844 (Lat/Lon: 52.453656, -1.055889), Husbands Bosworth which are provided by:

topup

Military History

The War Memorial was built by public subscription and unveiled at a Dedication Service by Lt. Colonel W. V. FABER, Royal Field Artillery, on Sunday, April 3rd 1921.

J. THOMAS has a photograph of the War Memorial in front of the church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014.

An Aerodrome was built here during World War II. On 10th August, 1943, day-flying started and on 17th August night-flying commenced. The airfield was decommissioned by the R.A.F. in 1946. In 1950, the facility was used to house Polish refugees.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish is in the ancient Gartree Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • You may contact the local Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT funded to provide family history searching for you.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Harborough petty session hearings held every other Tuesday.
     
  • In 1648, Sir Roger SMITH left a bequest that gave 14 tons of coals to the poor each year.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Market Harborough Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 660
1831 865
1841 953
1871 934
1881 831
1891 845
1901 741
1911 779
1921 732
1931 713
topup

Schools

  • The parish had a National School founded in 1724 by John BRYAN. The building was erected in 1858.
     
  • There was an Infants School built 1860.
     
  • There was also a Catholic School by 1881.