Hide

Isley Walton

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"ISLEY-WALTON, a chapeliy in Kegworth parish, Leicester; near the boundary with Derby, 2 miles SW of Castle Donington, and 5 W by S of Kegworth r. station Post town, Castle Donington, under Derby. Real property, £745. Pop., 46. Houses, 8. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Kegworth, in the diocese of Peterborough."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Castle Donington subdistrict of the Shardlow registration district.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2488
1891 R.G. 12 / 2719
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church for Isley Walton is dedicated to Saint Nicholas (some sources give "St. Mary").
     
  • The church was built here around the 13th century.
     
  • The church seats 500.
     
  • The church at Hemington village stood empty and unused for 500 years.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1557.
     
  • The churches were in the rural deanery of West Akeley.
     
  • A small Methodist chapel stood in Hemington.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Castle Donington subdistrict of the Shardlow registration district.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Isley Walton is a village, a township and a parish 122 miles north of London, just 3 miles northwest of Kegworth and due north of the East Midlands Airport. The parish also includes the township of Hemington.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the M1 motorway to Kegworth where it crosses the A6 trunk road. Isley Walton is just west of that intersection on the A453.
     
You can see pictures of Isley Walton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Isley Walton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Manors

  • Isley Walton Hall was the residence of John Bainbridge STORY in 1849.
     
  • The Hall was rebuilt around 1880 in the Italian style, with terraces.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK420250 (Lat/Lon: 52.820905, -1.378198), Isley Walton which are provided by:

topup

Names, Geographical

  • Although the official name of the parish is "Isley Walton", the preferred name is Isley Walton Hemington. This avoids confusion with the Yorkshire parish.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • The parish was in the ancient West Goscote Hundred in the northern division of the county.
     
  • The parish covered 2,135 acres in 1881, but was reduced to 1,870 by 1891. In 1936, it increased to 3,309 acres.
     
  • In March, 1884, the parish was enlarged by gaining part (Cliff Farm) of Sawley and Wilsthorpe parish.
     
  • In April, 1936, the parish was enlarged by gaining all of Hemington parish when that parish was abolished.
     
  • In April, 1965, the parish border was altered by losing 13 acres to Breaston parish and gaining a 21 acre portion of Shardlow and Great Wilne parish.
     
  • The parish currently (2014) exists as "Isley cum Langley" Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, Isley Walton became part of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Loughborough petty sessional hearings.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1861 46
1871 149
1881 175
1891 219
1901 155
1911 143
1921 151
1931 186
1951 538
1961 529
topup

Schools

  • A School Board was formed in 1878 and a County Council School built that same year. The parish school was in Hemington.