Description in 1871:
"KILBY, a parish, with a village, in Blaby district, Leicestershire; on a branch of the river Soar, and on the Union canal, 2 miles SSE of Wigston r. station, and 6½ SSE of Leicester. Post town, Wigston, under Leicester. Acres, 1,060. Real property, £2,200. Pop., 362. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. Framework knitting is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £63. Patron, Sir H. Halford, Bart. The church is plain and good, with a very low tower. There is an Independent chapel."
[John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]