Hide

Knighton

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"KNIGHTON, a chapelry in St. Margaret parish, Leicestershire; adjacent to the Midland railway, 2 miles S by E of Leicester. Post town, Leicester. Acres, 1,020. Real property, £6,356. Pop. in 1851, 494; in 1861, 641. Houses, 122. The manor belongs to Sir William E.Hartopp, Bart. Many of the houses are villas, with large gardens, and inhabited by the manufacturers of Leicester. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of St. Margaret, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is a neat edifice, with tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

The Knighton Branch Library was built on Clarendon Park road.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Wigston sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
     
  • In 1892, due to the Civil Parish being abolished, the area was placed in the West Leicester sub-district of the Leicester Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 599 & 600
1861 R.G. 9 / 2256
1871 R.G. 10 / 3231
1891 R.G. 12 / 2498
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene.
     
  • The ecclesiastical parish was formed in August, 1878, from that of St. Margaret's parish in Leicester city.
     
  • The church seats 600.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. Mary Magdalene Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of the Lychgate on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009. Here your coffin would wait, protected from the elements, while the bearers gathered.
     
  • The ecclesiastical parish of St. John the Baptist was formed in 1917. The church was in Clarendon Park Road and was erected in 1885 as a Chapel of Ease to St. Mary Magdalene's.
     
  • St. John's Church seats 800.
     
  • A Chapel of Ease to St. John the Baptist was built in 1898 and consecrated as St. Micheal and All Saints. It seated 560.
     
  • A third Chapel of Ease was St. Guthlac's Chapel in South Knighton, partly erected in 1912.
     
  • The Church of the Holy Apostle. Fosse Road South, was consecrated in 1924. It could seat 600.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1650.  The register for St. John the Baptist dates from 1885.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Leicester.
     
  • The village also had a Weslyan Methodist chapel by 1849.
     
  • Tony ELLIS provides a photograph of the Evangelical Free Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2008. This is a fairly recently constructed church.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of Saint Thomas More Catholic Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2007.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837, but the Civil Parish didn't exist until after 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the Wigston sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
     
  • In 1892, due to the Civil Parish being abolished, the area was placed in the West Leicester sub-district of the Leicester Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Knighton was a village and a parish 94 miles north of London and about 2 miles south-east of Leicester city. The parish consisted of the townships of Knighton, South Knighton and Stoneygate. The parish covered 1,600 acres in 1881.

The village has been re-absorbed by Leicester city as a suburb. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A6 trunk road south-east out of Leicester about 2 miles. A road to the right leads to the Knighton district.
     
  • Kate JEWELL provides a photograph of Knighton Road on Geo-graph, taken in 2005.
     
You can see pictures of Knighton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Knighton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • In the 1700s and 1800s many of the inhabitants were the manufacturers and professional people of Leicester.
     
  • Ashley DACEN has a photograph of the Wheatsheaf Works on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2011. This was, for a time, the largest shoe factory in the world.
     
  • David MARTIN has a photograph of a Stairway to Nowhere on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2015. Surely this must be an historic structure!
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of The Cradock Arms on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
     
  • J. THOMAS also has a photograph of the Aberdale Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
     
topup

Manors

In 1849, Knighton Hall, was the seat of Sir Edmund Cradock HARTOPP, Bart., who was lord of the manor and chief land owner.

topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK604015 (Lat/Lon: 52.607635, -1.11022), Knighton which are provided by:

topup

Military History

There is a white marble tablet in a wooden frame inside St. Mary Magdalene Church that is a War Memorial. All three men on the plaque have the surname SMITH and all three died in the First World War.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry in St. Margaret's parish in Leicester and became a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • In March, 1896, this parish was reabsorbed into Leicester Civil Parish which was re-incorporated at that time.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • The Memorial Cottage Almshouses, in Knighton drive, were erected by Miss Sarah BARLOW for four poor widows, each of -whom receives 5S. weekly (in 1925).
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Blaby Poorlaw Union.
     
  • In 1892, this parish was abolished and the Knighton district placed under the Leicester Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 465
1851 494
1861 641
1871 928
1881 1,813
topup

Schools

A National School was erected in 1840.