Hide

Knipton

hide
Hide

From John marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)":

"KNIPTON, a parish, with a pleasant village, in the district of Grantham and county of Leicester; on the river Devon, 5½ miles SSW of Sedgebrook r. station, and 7 SW of Grantham. Post town, Branston, under Grantham. Acres, 1,430. Real property, £2, 233. Pop., 369. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The reservoir of the Grantham canal, covering 90 acres, is here; and kennels for 60 couples of fox hounds also are here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £295. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is ancient, has a pinnacled tower, and was repaired in 1846. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £25."
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Julian P. GUFFOGG has a photograph of All Saints' churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.

Richard CROFT has a photograph of some HARRIS family headstones on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2012.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Denton sub-district of the Grantham (Lincoln) Registration District.
     
  • After the Poor Law Union was re-organized in 1891, the parish was in the Grantham North sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 587
1861 R.G. 9 / 2348
1871 R.G. 10 / 3356
1891 R.G. 12 / 2583
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints and is built of stone.
     
  • The church was built before 1563.
     
  • The church was restored in 1846.
     
  • The church seats 220.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2008.
     
  • J. HANNAH-BRIGGS also has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The church was in the rural deanery of Framland (first portion).
     
  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1562 for baptisms and burials. Marriages start in 1563. The register contains burials of Parliamentary soldiers between 1643 and 1645.
     
  • Knipton marriages from 1562-1837 are in Pallot's Marriage Index.
     
  • The Baptists built a chapel here prior to 1912.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Knipton Baptist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Denton sub-district of the Grantham (Lincoln) Registration District.
     
  • After the Poor Law Union was re-organized in 1891, the parish was in the Grantham North sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Knipton is both a parish and a village about 112 miles north of London, 10 miles northeast of Melton Mowbray and 7 miles south-west from Grantham in Lincolnshire. The Knipton River runs through the west side of the parish. The parish covers some 1,270 acres and includes the northern shore of the Knipton Reservoir.

The village is on the banks of the River Devon. If you are planning a visit:

  • The village is just northwest off of the A607 trunk road between Grantham and Melton Mobray.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016. If you can, stop in when they are open and ask for a schedule of forth-coming events.
     
You can see pictures of Knipton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Knipton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • John SUTTON has a photograph of the Manners Arms on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2010.
     
  • Robert HARVEY provides a photograph of inside the Manners Arms on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2018.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the village pump on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK824311 (Lat/Lon: 52.871076, -0.77727), Knipton which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2008. The memorial has since been enclosed with a fence and a flagpole added alongside it.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the War Memorial with the flagpole on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
     
  • John SUTTON has a photograph of the enclosed War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2010.
topup

Military Records

The parish register contains entries recording the burial of Parliamentary soldiers.

In the parish church is a brass mural tablet to the memory of Lt.-Col. Lord Robert MANNERS C.M.G., D.S.O. killed in action in 1917. Robert William Orlando MANNERS of the Northumberland Fusiliers regiment is buried in the Huts Cemetery, Dikkebus. He was half-brother to the Duke of Rutland.

In 1925 Lt.-Col. H. A. W. WEBER resided at "The Cottage".

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and it became a modern Civil Pairsh when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the eastern division of the county in the ancient Framland Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • In April, 1936, this parish was abolished and the area used to enlarge Belvoir Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Grantham Poor Law Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Belvior petty sessional hearings.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 262
1831 322
1851 386
1861 369
1871 338
1881 327
1891 328
1901 331
1911 280
1921 281
1931 273
topup

Schools

  • A Public Elementary School (National School) was built here in 1850 and enlarged in 1868. That building is now the Village Hall.