Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Long Clawson

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Long Clawson

Primary tabs

Description in 1877:
"Clawson, or Claxton, is a long straggling village and parish, in the south-western part of the Vale of Belvoir, 6 miles N. by W. of Melton Mowbray, and 13 miles S. by E. of Nottingham. It is in Framland Hundred, Melton Mowbray Union and County Court District, and in 1871 contained 780 persons, living in 184 homes, on 3450 acres of land, having a rateable value of £5,326 16s 3d. It is bounded on the north by the Nottingham and Grantham Canal, and on the south by a range of the Wold hills, in which the River Smite has its source, about 3 miles south of the village; on the west side of which is an eminence called Slyborough Hill. The parish was enclosed in 1779, and the soil is chiefly clay."
White's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland. 3rd Edition," 1877


  • The Long Clawson Cemetery was formed in 1903 and only covers 1/2 acre. It was placed under the control of the Burial Board of the Parish Council.



  • The parish was in the Clawson sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Waltham sub-district of the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 587
1861 R.G. 9 / 2302
1871 R.G. 10 / 3296
1891 R.G. 12 / 2545


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Long Clawson area or see them printed on a map.


Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Remigius.
  • The church is often simply called "Saint Remi's".
  • The church was built around the 14th century.
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1893.
  • The church seats 300.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St. Remigius Parish Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
  • Steve FAREHAM also has a photograph of St. Remigius Parish Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2011.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1558.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Framland (third portion).
  • The Society of Genealogists holds copies of the parish registers covering marriages from 1558 - 1837 which can be studied at their library in London.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built here in 1840.
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the Wesleyan Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2007.
  • The Baptists had a chapel built here in 1845.
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the Baptist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2007.
  • The Primitive Methodists had a chapel built here in 1868.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Clawson sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Waltham sub-district of the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.

Description and Travel

Long Clawson is a straggling village and a large parish at the foot of the Wold Hills and on the River Smyte (Smite). The parish lies 112 miles north of London and about 6 miles north of Melton Mobray. The parish was a rough rectangle shape tilted to stand on one corner. The parish covered 3,581 acres and bordered Nottinghamshire on the north.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, from the A606 trunk road, turn northeast at Nether Broughton to arrive at Long Clawson.
  • Bus service runs through the village connecting it to Melton and to Bottesford.

You can see pictures of Long Clawson which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Long Clawson to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.



  • Guy Etchells' site "The Guys of Bottesford" has details of the Guy family who lived and were buried in Long Clawson as far back as 1450.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Long Clawson has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The parish was mostly pastureland.
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of The Crown and Plough pub in Long Clawson on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2010.
  • These are the names associated with the Crown and Plough in various directories:
Year  Person
1849 John PEARS
1861 John PEARS, victualler
1881 Edward PEARS
1912 James W. PORTER
1925 Charlie SMITH


  • Carolyn MANSFIELD has a photograph of the Manor House on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.

Military History

On 5-Sept-2016 Long Clawson dedicated and unveiled its new War Memorial.


Military Records

There is a Roll of Honour mounted on the wall of St. St Remigius' Church for World War I.


Politics and Government

  • This place was an "ancient parish" of Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish was in the Framland Hundred (Wapentake) in the northern division of the county.
  • On 1 April, 1936, the old Civil Parish parish was abolished and merged with others to create Clawson and Harby Civil Parish.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1779.
  • Bastardy cases would be herad in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1841 838
1871 780
1881 738
1891 753
1901 776
1911 735
1921 657
1931 664


  • A Free School was founded here in 1793 by Mr. John GARTON. This was replaced by the school below.
  • A Public Elementary School was built here in 1849 to hold 150 children.