Hide

Lubenham

hide
Hide

Description in 1887:
"Lubenham, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Leicestershire, on river Welland and Grand Union Canal, 3½ m. W. of Market Harborough, 2,400 ac., pop. 590; P.O., called Lubbenham; has mfrs. of carriage and livery lace ; in vicinity of vil. is the seat of Lubenham Hall."
John BARTHOLOMEW's "Gazetteer of the British Isles", 1887

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2249
1871 R.G. 10 / 3225
1881 R.G. 11 / 3120
1891 R.G. 12 / 2491
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
     
  • The date of construction is given only as "12th century."
     
  • The church was repewed in 1812.
     
  • The church was improved in 1898.
     
  • The church's east wall was restored in 1900.
     
  • The church seats 268.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2006.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1559 and is in very good condition.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Gartree (first portion).
     
  • The Congregationalists built a chapel here in 1838.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Lubenham is a parish and a township, separated from Northamptonshire by the River Welland. It is 86 miles north of London, just 2 miles southwest of Market Harborough. The parish covers 2,740 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • The Grand Union Canal runs just north-east of the village.
     
  • By automobile, take the A4304 trunk road west for about 2 miles out of Market Harborough.
     
  • The old railway track to Market Harborough is being converted to a bicycle path. The railway station here closed in June, 1966.
     
  • David THOMPSON has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2015.
     
  • There are several photographs of Lubenham at Geo-graph for your enjoyment.
     
You can see pictures of Lubenham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Lubenham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Stop in at The Coach and Horses Inn and ask about their long history. They are on Main street.
     
  • Ian S. has a photograph of the Coach and Horses Inn on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2012.
     
  • These are the names associated with The Coach and Horses Inn, Main Street, in various directories:
     
Year  Person
1849 -- Not listed --
1881 John Parberry CHECKLEY, shoeing smith
1912 Jn. Tailby SMITH
1925 Jn. Tailby SMITH

"John P. CHECKLEY" is shown in the 1871 census as born in Northamptonshire, circa 1840. There is a "John Parberry CHECKLEY" in civil registration born in the last quarter of 1939 in Northamptonshire. "John B. CHECKLEY" appears in the 1881 census as the innkeeper and shoeing smith.

topup

Manors

  • Papillon Hall was built by David PAPILLON, a French Huguenot, in the year 1622. It was rebuilt in 1903-04. It was an octagonal building standing on a hill about a mile from the village. It was destroyed in 1951.
     
  • There was also a Manor House in the village. David THOMPSON has a photograph of the Manor House on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2015.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP697878 (Lat/Lon: 52.483769, -0.974779), Lubenham which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • The War Memorial is stone and metal sundial on stone column surmounting seven-stepped base. Upper steps bear inscription. it was unveiled April 1920 by Lieut Col the Hon G STANLEY.  There are 23 names inscribed on the plaques, covering both World Wars.
     
  • Stephen McKAY has a photograph of the War Memorial on Main Street on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
     
  • In 1925 Royal Army Captain Frank Ashton BELLVILLE resided in Paipillon Hall.
     
topup

Occupations

  • Many people in the parish were employed in the carriage and railway lace factory in the village.
     
  • Most of the parish was grazing land.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • The place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish is in the ancient Gartree Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • The parish was enlarged by about 112 acres in April, 1924, when part of Great Bowden parish was reconfigured.
     
  • In April, 1935, the parish boundaries were changed with no net change in acreage.
     
  • In April, 1965, the parish boundaries were changed again with a net loss of 2 acres.
     
  • You can contact the local Parish Council regarding political or civil issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history research.
     
  • The parish is part of the Harborough District Council. The same restrictions apply.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Harborough petty session hearings held every other Tuesday.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Market Harborough Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Each year a dole from SHIPLEY's, SMITH's and NEALE's charities was paid out to the poor on Saint Thomas's day (in those days, December 21st).
     
  • HARTSHORN's Charity distributed bread to the poor and provided three bibles each year.
     
  • In the early 1900s the parish provided 95 common garden portions of about 200 yards each to any inhabitant on payment of ten shillings initiation fee and one shilling per year.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 504
1811 477
1821 531
1831 542
1841 578
1851 601
1871 663
1881 590
1891 680
1901 618
1971 1,405
topup

Schools

  • The National School was founded in 1815 by the Rev. Henry BULLIVANT.
     
  • The National School was located in the north aisle of the Anglican church from 1815 to 1859.
     
  • The Public Elementary School was built in 1858 for 205 children. Average attendance in 1912 was 89.