John BARTHOLOMEW's "Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887" tells us:
Lutterworth, market town and par., Leicestershire, 3½ m. SE. of Ullesthorpe sta. and 7½ m. NE. of Rugby, 1,890 ac., pop. 1,965; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Thursday. Lutterworth occupies a pleasant situation on a declivity near the river Swift. It is an ancient town, consists of regular and well-paved streets, and has a town hall, a market house, and 2 endowed schools. John Wycliffe (1324-1387), the reformer, resided and ministered at Lutterworth for many years, and the church, an ancient building, restored in 1740, contains the pulpit in which he preached. Besides the weekly market, Lutterworth has an important sheep market and cattle fairs.
Ian Rob has a photograph of the new Lutterworth Library in Coventry Road on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.
The Lutterworth Library on George Street is a branch of the Leicester County Council Library System. It is open 5 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting) and has staff trained in Family History research.
You may want to visit the Lutterworth Museum on the Gilmorton Road.
Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Churchyard cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017.
- The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
- The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1841 H.O. 107 / 598 1861 R.G. 9 / 2246 & 2247 1871 R.G. 10 / 3222 1891 R.G. 12 / 2490
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin.
- The church dates from the 14th or 15th century, but the precise date is unknown.
- The church spire was blown down in 1703 and was subsequently replaced.
- The church was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1812.
- The church was restored in 1867-69.
- The church seats 750.
- John SALMON has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2003.
- Jonathan BILLINGER has a photograph of St. Mary's interior on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2008.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1558 (some sources say only 1653).
- The church is in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (second portion).
- The Society of Genealogists holds copies of Lutterworth parish records which can be studied at their library in London.
- A Catholic Church, dedicated to Our Lady of Victories and Saint Alphonsus, was built on Bitteswell Road in 1881.
- A Congregational Chapel was founded in 1689 on George Street and was restored in 1777 (see photo, below).
- Ian ROB has a photograph of the United Reformed Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
- A Particular Baptist Chapel was built on Chapel Street in 1839.
- A Wycliffe Memorial Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built on Bitteswell Road in 1905.
- Stephen McKAY has a photograph of the Methodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
- See Local Register Offices in England and Wales
Lutterworth is a market town and a parish in Leicestershire, England, on the border of Northamptonshire and Warwickshire. The parish lies 7.5 miles north-east of Rugby and 90 miles north of the city of London. The River Swift runs through the parish. The parish, in 1881, covered 1,890 acres; today covers 2,614 acres and includes the highway intersection known as "Cross in Hand", which is right on the Warwickshire border.
If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A426 trunk road north out of Rugby or south out of Leicester city.
- Neil THEASBY has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lutterworth to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lutterworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Lutterworth was mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book.
- The Town Hall, in High Street, was built in 1836.
- Frank WHITTLE, the inventor of the jet engine, developed some of his first prototypes in this parish during the 1930s and 1940s.
- Magna Park, just west of the village and adjacent to Cross-in-Hand, is an industrial site. It is reputedly the largest logistics and warehousing park in Europe. It is on the site of former RAF Bitteswell and is still expanding.
- M. J. RICHARDSON has an aerial photograph of Magna Park on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Wycliffe Memorial outside the Methodist church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2007. Mat has mis-identified it as a war memorial. Wycliffe was a 14th century clergyman who is credited with translating the Bible into English for the first time.
- Ian ROB has a photograph of the Red Arrow Public House on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2005.
- Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Denbigh Arms Hotel on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017.
- Jonathan THACKER also has a photograph of The Shambles Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017.
- Stephen McKAY also has a photograph of The Cavalier Inn on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
- The webpage author has found mention of both Lutterworth Hall and a Manor House, but no descriptions.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP545845 (Lat/Lon: 52.455742, -1.199399), Lutterworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The Fielding-Palmer Cottage Hospital was built in 1899 and was expanded in 1911. It stands, still open, on Gilmorton Road, today and has contact information on Facebook. This institution was not required to archive patient records.
Ian ROB has a photograph of the Lutterworth-Fielding Palmer Hospital on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
- In 1912, Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry, D Squadron, drilled here. Major A. H. ROBINSON, commanding; Capt. Geoffrey STEWART, 2nd in command; Squad.-Srgt-Major James R. TAYLOR was the drill instructor.
- John M. has a photograph of the former Drill Hall used by The Yeomanry on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2014. As he reports, it is now a carpet warehouse.
- Stephen McKAY has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007. The monument is a Red Hollington stone cross on a tall shaft surmounting a square plinth.
- There are 8 Commonwealth War Graves in St. Mary's churchyard.
The eight Commonwealth War Graves in St. Mary's churchyard (data from the CWGC site) are for:
|Reginald Liddon ALDERSON||major||Royal Air Force||30 June 1918||Age 38, son of the Rev. Canon F. C. ALDERSON of Peterborough|
|Bernard William DRAKE||flying officer||Royal Air Force||4 Mar. 1945||Age 24, son of Percy and Fanny Louisa DRAKE|
|Reginald Alexander GRANGER||driver||572 Field coy., Royal Engineers||21 Aug. 1940||Age 24, husband of Winifred May GRANGER|
|C. J. JENNINGS||private||Devonshire Regt.||17 Mar. 1919||- none -|
|F. LAUGHTON||sapper||Royal Engineers||1 Sept. 1919||Age 40, son of John and Rebecca LAUGHTON|
|John Albert Frank ROSE||lance corporal||Lancashire Fusiliers||12 Nov. 1918||Age 20, son of Thomas Henry and Charlotte Lucy ROSE|
|Richard Tom SAMPSON||corporal||Royal Engineers||16 Nov. 1918||Age 28, husband of Florence E. SAMPSON|
|Reginald William C. SHARP||private||Royal Defense Corps||26 Jan. 1919||Age 26, husband of Gertrude A. SHARP|
The Lutterworth Press, which is really in Cambridge, has an online catalog with both fiction and non-fiction available. The last time I checked this website (in January, 2020) the e-book download wasn't working but your milage may vary.
- This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish is in the ancient Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county.
- In April, 1935, the parish boundary was set at Watling Street, and everything south of that line was deemed to be in Warwickshire. The parish lost 1 acre to Churchover Civil Parish and 9 acres to Monks Kirby Civil Parish, but gained 23 acres from Monks Kirby and 12 acres from Willey Civil Parishes.
- John M. has a photograph of the Town Hall on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2014. The Town Hall opened in 1836.
- You may contact the Town Council regarding civic or political matters, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Lutterworth petty session hearings every other Thursday at the police station.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became the centre of of the Lutterworth Poorlaw Union.
Year Inhabitants 1801 1,652 1841 2,531 1871 2,080 1881 1,965 1891 1,800 1901 1,734 1911 1,896 1921 2,092 1931 2,395
- The children of this parish attended schools in Lutterworth (to the north) and Shawell (to the south).
- The Grammar School was founded in 1630 and later became a Secondary School. In 1924 it had about 135 pupils.
- The Public Elementary School was built on George Street in 1876 and was a mixed school.
- Frank Whittle Studio School is a studio school that opened in 2015. It is situated alongside Lutterworth College, both of which make up The Lutterworth Academies Trust.
- Stephen McKAY has a photograph of Lutterworth High School on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2012.