Description in 1871:
"MARKFIELD, a village and a parish in Market Bosworth district, Leicestershire. The village stands 3 miles SE of Bardon Hill r. station, and 7.5 NW of Leicester; and has a post office under Leicester. The parish comprises 2,534 acres. Real property, £5,656; of which £432 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,261; in 1861, 1,391. Houses, 310. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Stamford. Granite is quarried, and stocking-making is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500. Patron, the Marquis of Hastings. The church is old, with tower and spire; and was rebuilt and enlarged in 1865. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school built in 1862, and charities £10."
John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72