Description in 1877:
"Mountsorrel Village, in Barrow-on-Soar Union, Leicester County Court District, and West Goscote Hundred, is situated on the banks of a rivulet about half a mile west of the river Soar, 1 1/2 mile south of Mountsorrell, and 5 miles N. of Leicester; its township comprises about 1172 acres, and in 1871 contained 1,040 persons, living in 232 houses. Barrow-on-Soar Workhouse is situated here. The Peculiar or Soke of Mountsorrel, which has jurisdiction over this and other parishes and belongs to H Parker Esq., son of the late Vice Chancellor Sir James Parker, as lord of the manor, in which he claims 1s in the pound on the value of all the copyhold lands, when they pass from one owner to another. The Court House is an ancient building with a pyramid roof, near the centre of the village. In it the Commissionary Court of the Peculiar is opened every half year, and afterwards alternately adjourned to the Red Lion and Crown Inns. The lord of the manor and the executors of W. Perry Herrick. Esq., are the principal owners of the soil, but the Fowke family has an estate in the parish. Many of the inhabitants are quarrymen and framework knitters; and the soil is various, some clay, some marl and some good barley land. About 12 acres of land are let in small allottments to the industrious poor, at low rents. The manor and rectory were anciently held by the Knights Templars (see Mountsorrel Temple) and in 1283 they had a grant for a market and a fair, which were removed from Mountsorrel to Gaddesby in 1305. At the Dissolution, the manor, the impropriate rectory, and the advowson of the vicarage were granted to Edward Cartwright, and were sold, in 1567, to Humphrey Babington, Esq., of whom the present owner, H. Parker, Esq, is a descendant on the mother ’s side. The advowson was purchased by the present vicar in 1872.
The CHURCH (St. John the Baptist) is a large and handsome fabric, with an embattled tower and five bells, and contains several monuments of the Babington family. It was partly restored in 1861 by the late vicar, at a host of £1000, and its complete restoration is now being carried out at a cost of £3,000. The architect is R. Reynolds Rowe Esq., of Cambridge. The living is a vicarage, valued in K.B. at £11 0s. 5d., and now at £600, and has 240 acres of giebe; the tithes were commuted at the enclosure in 1781. The Rev. Richard Burton, M.A, who succeeded the Rev. H. J. Shackleton in 1869, is patron and incumbent, and has a good vicarage near the church, which was enlarged in 1870, and is now a handsome residence. The WESLEYANS and PRIMITIVE METHODISTS and the GENERAL BAPTISTS have chapels here.
The FREE SCHOOL was founded by Bartholomew Hickling, who in 1683 left a cottage and several pieces of land here, in trust for the education of 14 or 15 poor boys of Mountsorrel. Besides the schoolroom, and a good house and garden, occupied by the master, the endowment now consists of about 3 1/2 acres of land, worth £25 per annum. The NATIONAL SCHOOL was rebuilt in 1872, at a cost of £500. In I736 Mrs. Elizabeth Daniel gave £30 in trust to pay the interest to a school-mistress for instructing several poor girls to read. A yearly rent-charge of 5s., paid out of the late Sir James Parker ’s estate, was left by John Willows, to buy a Bible for any boy who can read the first chapter of St. John ’s Gospel the most distinctly. For distribution in bread and money, the poor have the interest of £30, given by several donors, and a yearly rent-charge of 2Os., left by the Rev. William Stavely, out of land at Cossington. In the village is a small MECHANICS’ INSTITUTION, which was founded about 30 years ago by the late Thomas Babington, Esq., of Mountsorrel Temple; it has now about 50 members, a library of 300 volumes, and the institution is well supplied with newspapers."
"Mountsorrel TEMPLE formerly an extra-parochial estate, has been constituted a civil parish, comprising about 630 acres of land and in 1871 containing 85 persons, living in 18 houses. It is in Barrow-on-Soar Union and County Gourt District, and West Goscote Hundred; it adjoins Mountsorrel on the west, and is distant 5 miles N. of Leicester. It is in the peculiar jurisdiction of Mountsorrel. The manor and soke of Mountsorrel is extensive, and has very curious rights in its jurisdiction. The extra-parochial liberty has been in the hands of the Babington family from about A.D. 1500 to the death of Thomas Babington, in 1838, after which his daughter having married Sir James Parker, Kt., it came into the hands of that eminent lawyer and vice-chancellor. It is now owned by his eldest son, Harry Rainy Parker, Esq., who occupies the mansion, which has tasteful pleasure-grounds, and stands on the site of a Preceptory, or Commandery of Knights Templars to whom the manor was given by Henry III. After the suppression of the Templars, it was given to the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem. On the dissolution of the latter, the site and manor were given to Edward Cartwright, as noticed with Mountsorrel."
[WHITE's "History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and Rutland." 3rd Edition 1877]
The Library is open 5 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting).
This is a community managed library on 2 floors. The main library and facilities are on the ground floor. There are stairs or a lift to the first floor where you will find learning facilities and courses. This library had been closed for two years, but is now re-opened and fully functional.
- The parish was the centre of the Mountsorrel subdistrict of the Barrow-on-Soar district.
- The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print. Volume 21 covers the Mountsorrel sub-district.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1861 R.G. 9 / 2280 1871 R.G. 10 / 3263 1891 R.G. 12 / 2520
- There are two churchs in the town.
- The Anglican parish church for North Mountsorrel is dedicated to Saint Peter.
- This church was originally an independent chapel.
- The church was constituted as an ecclesiastical parish in 1868.
- The church seats 250.
- The Anglican parish church for South Mountsorrel was formed out of Rothley in 1842.
- The Anglican parish church for South Mountsorrel is dedicated to Christ.
- This church was built in 1844.
- The church was renovated in 1903 and reseated in 1908.
- The Anglican parish register for St. Peter's Church dates from 1657.
- The Anglican parish register for Christ Church dates from 1844.
- The churches were in the East Akeley rural deanery.
- The Weslyean Methodists and the United Methodists had chapels here prior to 1881.
- The United Methodists chapel, built in 1864 has recently been converted to commercial office premises. Richard LAW has a photograph on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2019.
- Caroyln MANSFIELD also has a photograph of the Old Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.
- The General Baptists all had a chapel built here in 1879.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- Mountsorrel was in the Mountsorrel subdistrict of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
Mountsorrel is a small town and a parish 105 miles north of London, just 2 miles north of Rothley and 7 miles north of Leicester city. The parish covers 552 acres.
The town is on rising ground on the west side of the Soar River. If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A6 trunk road north out of Leicester city for about 7 miles. Shortly after passing the B5330 you will be in Mountsorrel.
- If you come by boat, tie up at the Mountsorrel Wharf. photographed here by Andrew ABBOT in February, 2020.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2015l.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mountsorrel to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mountsorrel has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Pre-Roman Britons are thought to have lived here. This area was thought to be forestland extending down into Derbyshire. Remains of wild boar and woolly rinoceros were found here in the 17th century.
- An iron bridge was built over the River Soar in 1860.
- Local granite was quarried here, often employing up to 700 men and boys. The red and grey granite ("Syenite" or hornblende granodiorite) was used for millstones, paving, road-making and in buildings.
- In 1860, a branch line of the railway extended into town to convey the granite to the Barrow-on-Soar station. There is a restoration group active with more information at the Mountsorrel parish website.
- Castle Hill was once the site of a fortress built, demolished by order of Henry III in 1217. The castle had been built in 1080 by Hugh LUPUS.
- The town was once a market time, dating back to Henry III, but the market was discontinued about 1850.
- The old market cross, which stood near the center of the town, was removed around 1895 by Sir John DANVERS, baronet. He set it up on his grounds at Swithland. In the market square, he erected an open circular building as a market house, later to be known as the Butter Market. There is a photo of the square at the Mountsorrel parish website.
- The Butter Cross was erected in 1793 to protect stallholders from the weather and to replace the original medieval market cross which is now sited at Swithland.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Waterside Inn on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2015.
- Richard LAW has a photograph of the Swan Inn on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2019. This place has been The Nag's Head until around 1984, but parts of it date back to 1680
- In 1713, The Grapes Hotel was built. Richard LAW has a photograph of the (former) Grapes Hotel on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2019.
John H. DARCH has a photograph of Mountsorrel Hall on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2018.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK581147 (Lat/Lon: 52.726833, -1.141137), Mountsorrel which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Cottage Hospital and Convalescent was established in 1879 by the Mountsorrcl Granite Co.
- It is unknown if any records survive from this institution. These facilities were not required to archive any records, although administrative records and photographs may be found in the archives.
- Herbert SKIPWORTH was the medical officer in 1912.
- In 1912, the Territorial Force stationed in Mountsorrel was the 5th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment, F Company. Captain R. E. MARTIN commanding; Sergt. John BIRCH, drill instructor.
- A War Memorial was raised on Castle Hill to those who had fallen in the Great War. The war memorial was designed by the architect Shirley HARRISON and erected in 1926. It commemorates the 73 men who lost their lives from the village of Mountsorrel. Some years later another plaque was affixed on the opposite side of the memorial, to commemorate the lives lost in World War II.
- Terry ROBERTS has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2005.
- Richard LAW also has a phtograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2019.
- Tim GLOVER also has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 1994.
- And Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of the front of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2015.
These are the fallen in the Commonwealth War Graves (data from www.CWWG.org):
|Gerald BAMPTON||Private||"F" Coy. 1st/5th Bn Leicestershire Regt.||08 Feb. 1915||Age 19, son of James and Elizabeth BAMPTON|
|A. FINDLEY||Private||2/5 Btn Leicestershire Regt.||23 Oct. 1939||Son of Thomas and Mary Jane FINDLEY.|
|Albert THORNETT||Private||Royal Army Ordnance Corps||30 Oct. 1943||Age 37 husband of Catherine Elizabeth THORNETT|
- The parish was in the ancient West Goscote Hundred in the mid division of the county.
- In Oct., 1896, part of Barrow-on-Soar civil parish was added to Mountsorrel civil parish.
- In April, 1935, parts of Quorndon civil parish and Rothley civil parish were added to Mountsorrel civil parish.
- You may contact the Montsorrel Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT funded nor staffed to help you with family history questions.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Loughborough petty session hearings each Wednesday.
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1782.
- The parish had six almshouses for poor women ('of good character'), endowed by Anne CASTLEDINE built in 1853. Richard LAW has a photograph of the Castledine almshouses on Geo-graph, taken in 7 May, 2015.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Barrow-upon-Soar Poor Law Union.
Year Inhabitants 1377 156 1825 1,422 1871 1,985 1881 2,317 1901 2,417 1931 2,900 1967 4,321
- St. Peter's Public Elementary School was built in 1870 and enlarged in 1911 to hold 184 mixed students and 150 infants.
- Christ Church's Public Elementary School was built in 1850 and enlarged in 1870 to hold 400 children.
- The schools have a combined web site, but no school history, at: Christ Church & St Peter's CE Primary School.
There is an active Mountsorrel Heritage Group in the parish.