Normanton le Heath


Description in 1871:
"NORMANTON-LE-HEATH, a chapelry in Nailstone parish, Leicester; 1¾ mile E of the boundary with Warwick, and 2½ S E by S of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station. Post-town, Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Acres, 1,320. Real property, £2,680. Pop., 178. Houses, 36. The property belongs to Lord Belper. The chapelry is a meet for the Atherstone hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £210. Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient; was restored in 1853; and has a tower and spire, beautiful windows, and an old carved screen. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72"]



  • The parish was in the Measham subdistrict of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Registration District.
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 7 covers the Measham subdistrict.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 602
1861 R.G. 9 / 2267
1871 R.G. 10 / 3243
1891 R.G. 12 / 2508

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to The Holy Trinity.
  • The church is considered "an old building" and has a spire with 2 bells. The church was built during the reign of Edward III and is about 700 years old.
  • The church was restored about 1853.
  • The church was renovated in 1895.
  • The church spire was restored in 1898.
  • The church seats 150.
  • The church is a Grade II listed English Heritage building considered "at risk".
  • Philip JEFFREY has a photograph of Holy ROOD Church on Geo-graph taken in May, 2013.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1695 but the early years have been defaced.
  • The church is in the rural deanery of South Akeley.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here prior to 1849.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Measham subdistrict of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Registration District.
  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.

Description & Travel

Normanton le Heath is a small village, a township and a parish about 116 miles north of London, 16 miles west-northwest of Leicester city, and just 1.5 miles northwest of Ibstock. The parish covers about 1,366 acres and borders Derbyshire.

A small beck (stream) exits the south side of the village heading for the River Sence. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A447 to Ibstock and turn west onto the B591. At Heather, continue past the north side of the village and on about 1.5 miles to Normanton le Heath.
  • There are two Parish Walks in Normanton le Heath. Both start near the church.
You can see pictures of Normanton le Heath which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Normanton le Heath has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • An Iron Age settlement has been unearthed near the boundary with Heather and Ravenstone.
  • The Roman road between Leicester and Chester has been found to run directly through Normanton. The Salt Way which ran through Measham can also be traced to Normanton.
  • This place was not mentioned in the Domesday Book survey of 1056, but is first mentioned in 1209.
  • By the mid-1850s, the local coal mines had been worked out. Most of the inhabitants of this parish were farmers in the latter half of the 1800s.


  • The web page author could find no description of a Manor House or Hall in Normanton le Heath.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK377127 (Lat/Lon: 52.710656, -1.443414), Normanton le Heath which are provided by:


Politics & Government

  • This place was a Chapelry in Nailstone parish for centuries, but was incorporated as a Civil Parish in 1852.
  • The parish was in the ancient Sparkenhoe Hundred in the western division of the county.
  • It appears that the parish has elected to have "Parish Meetings" rather than have a "Parish Council." They meet in a parish forum each quarter to decide issues affecting the village and parish.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Ashby-de-la-Zouch petty session hearings.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Poorlaw Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1841 235
1871 156
1881 162
1891 166
1901 134
1911 143
1921 156
1931 143
1951 113
1961 102


  • The parish built a Public Elementary School (National School) in 1846 to hold up to 40 children.