Hide

Norton Juxta Twycross

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"TWYCROSS, a parish in Market-Bosworth district, Leicester; 5¼ miles NNE of Atherstone r. station. It has a post-office under Atherstone. Acres, 1,350. Real property, £3,002. Pop., 336. Houses, 69. The manor belongs to Earl Howe. The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £130. Patron, Earl Howe. The church is old but good. There is a national school."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Market Bosworth sub-district of the Market Bosworth Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2264
1871 R.G. 10 / 3240
1891 R.G. 12 / 2506
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
     
  • The church was built prior to 1640.
     
  • The church spire was taken down in 1890 for safety reasons.
     
  • The church seats 270.
     
  • David P. HOWARD has a photograph of Holy Trinity Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
     
  • The Anglican church at Twycross is dedicated to Saint James.
     
  • The church dates from the 14th century.
     
  • The church seats 150.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1583.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Sparkenhoe (first portion).
     
  • The Primitive Methodists had a chapel here in 1881.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Market Bosworth sub-district of the Market Bosworth Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Twycross is a village and a parish which lie on the road from Atherstone to Ashby, 108 miles north of London, about 8 miles south of Ashby-de-la-Zouch and 5 miles west of Market Bosworth. The parish covers about 1,580 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A444 trunk road north out of Nuneaton.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
     
  • David P. HOWARD also has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
     
  • David P. HOWARD has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012. Stop in and ask to see a schedule of forthcoming events.
     
  • There is a zoo to the south of the village, across the A444 trunk road.
     
  • Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of the Sea Lions at the Zoo on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
     
You can see pictures of Norton Juxta Twycross which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Norton Juxta Twycross has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

The village hall, which is owned by the villagers, was erected by Jack LAE (probably John LEE), a carpenter from the village, just after the end of the First World War in 1920, as a memorial to the men of Norton whose names are on a plaque inside the hall. The hall is on a slight rise on the north end of Main Street.

The village hall was rebuilt in 1994.

J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2016.

David P. HOWARD has a photograph of The Moores Arms on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.

These are the names associated with Moore's Inn in various directories:

Year  Person
1849 William MARSHALL, blacksmith
1863 Wm. MARSHALL, smith & vict.
1881 John MARSHALL
1892 Mrs. Catherine MARSHALL, blacksmith & v.
1912 John MARSHALL
1925 Joseph MARSHALL
topup

Manors

  • Twycross House was the residence of Vicount Frederick CURZON in 1912.
     
  • Cliff House was the seat of William E. OAKELEY in 1881. It was built in the Swiss style, surrounded by lawn and having a good view of the countryside.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK324069 (Lat/Lon: 52.65886, -1.522428), Norton Juxta Twycross which are provided by:

topup

Military History

There is a War Memorial brass inside the church to 4 men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War.

topup

Politics & Government

  • The parish is in the ancient Sparkenhoe Hundred in the western division of the county.
     
  • A detached part of Merevale, Warwickshire, was annexed to this parish in 1880.
     
  • In April, 1935, a number of parishes had their boundaries "adjusted". Gopsall parish was abolished and merged with Twycross parish. Also, Norton parish was abolished and merged with Twycross, as was Orton on the Hill. All this added about 4,000 acres to the area administered by Twycross parish authorities.
     
  • Neil THEASBY has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2016. Stop by the Hall, on the north side of the village, when it is open and ask to see the schedule of forth-coming events. The Hall is sometimes used for presentations on local history.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Sparkenhoe (Market Bosworth) petty session hearings each week, alternating between Hinckley and Market Bosworth.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Market Bosworth Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 319
1871 340
1881 354
1891 350
1901 317
1911 248
1921 276
1931 269
1961 745
topup

Schools

  • The Public Elementary School (National School) was endowed in 1765 by Charles JENNENS and built in 1822 to hold 80 children.
     
  • The village school was closed in the 1940s.