Description in 1887:
"Noseley, par., Leicestershire, 3 miles SE. of Billesdon, 880 ac., pop. 70; contains Noseley Hall, seat."
John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887"



  • The parish was in the Billesdon subdistrict of the Billesdon Registration District.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2253
1891 R.G. 12 / 2494

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Mary.
  • The church was built in Norman times and stands near the Hall.
  • The church was part of a college founded here in the reign of Edward II.
  • The church had been demolished around 1549.
  • The church tower was partly removed in the late 1800s.
  • The chapel at Noseley Hall was used as a church from late 1549 on.
  • Ruth RIDDLE has a photograph of Noseley Hall chapel on Geo-graph, taken in July 1997.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1815.
  • The Salt Lake LDS Family History Library has the Bishop's Transcripts for 1563-1638 on microfilm.
  • The church was in the rural Gartree deanery (second portion).

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Billesdon subdistrict of the Billesdon Registration District.

Description & Travel

Noseley was a village, a parish and a chapelry 11 miles south-east of Leicester city and 3 miles south-east of Billesdon. The parish covers 1,304 acres.

The land around the village has been mostly pasture for centuries. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A47 east out of Leicester city to the B6047 arterial road. Turn south (right) and drive about two miles to find the road (on the left) to Noseley village.
You can see pictures of Noseley which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Noseley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Wikipedia tells us that: "The village was gradually depopulated in the 16th century, due to enclosure and the conversion of the land to pastoral farming. By 1811, the population had dropped to just 2."

Sir Arthur HESILRIGE was one of the five Members of Parliament whom Charles I unsuccessfully sought to arrest, one of the incidents which led up to the English Civil War.

Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the abandoned medieval village of Noseley on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013.



  • Noseley Hall was the property of Sir Arthur Grey HAZLERIGG, baronet, the lord of the manor, in 1849. He owned most of the parish land.
  • The Manor at Noseley has been in the HESILRIGE or HAZLERIGG family for centuries.
  • Noseley Hall was rebuilt in the early 18th century by Sir Robert HAZLERIGG.
  • The hall is a Grade II* listed building with English Heritage.
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of Noseley Hall on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP739986 (Lat/Lon: 52.580201, -0.910825), Noseley which are provided by:


Politics & Government

  • Noseley was an ancient parish of Leicestershire until 1535, when it became a Chapelry and an extra-parochial area.
  • Noseley became a Civil Parish in 1858.
  • The parish lies in the Gartree Hundred (or Wapentake) in the eastern (or southern) division of the county.
  • Noseley's citizens have elected to forgo a formal Parish Council and, instead, have periodic Parish Meetings for everyone to discuss civic and political issues.
  • For current politics and civic issues, try the Parish Meeting website. They will not assist with family history questions.
  • District governance is provided by the Harborough District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Billesdon Poorlaw Union.
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the East Norton petty session hearings.


 Year Inhabitants
1841 20
1871 61
1881 70
1891 26
1901 57
1911 68
1921 66
1931 63
1951 51
1961 34


  • The children of this place attended school in Goadby.