From John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1970-72":
OADBY, a village and a parish in Blaby district, Leicestershire. The village stands 2¾ miles E N E of Wigston r. station, and 3½ S E of Leicester; is a large place, chiefly of one long street, very clean and neatly edificed; carries on framework-knitting for the Leicester manufacturers; and has a postal letter-box under Leicester, and an inn. The parish comprises 1,560 acres. The manor belongs to H. L. Powys-Keck, £5,707. Pop. in 1851, 1,196; in 1861, 1,254. Houses, 268. The property is subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Quarndon hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £210. Patrons, Certain Guardians. The church is ancient; was extensively repaired in 1853; has a tower with octagonal spire; and contains a piscina, sedilia, and several ancient monuments. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, national and infant schools, and charities £44.
In 1904 the Public Library was opened.
The Oadby Library at 10 The Parade is a branch of the Leicester County Council Library System. It is open 5 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting) and has staff trained in Family History research.
David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of Oadby Library on The Parade on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.
- A cemetery of one acre was formed in 1866. It was extended by 3/4 of an acre in 1910. The cemetery was under the control of the parish council's Burial Board.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2014.
- Andrew TATLOW also has a photograph of the Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2006.
- The parish was in the Blaby sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
- The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1841||H.O. 107 / 599|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2255 & 2256|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3231 & 3232|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2498|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
- The origin of the church is uncertain.
- The church was extensively repaired in 1853.
- The church was extensively repaired in 1877-78.
- The church seats 368.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.
- Tim GLOVER also has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2016.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1651.
- The church is in the rural deanery of Gartree (second portion).
- A Baptist chapel was founded here in 1825 and rebuilt in 1898.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the Baptist chapel on Leicester Road on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.
- The United Methodists had a chapel here by 1912.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Blaby sub-district of the Blaby Registration District.
Oadby is a large village, a township and a civil parish. The parish covers 1,560 acres. The village has become something of a "University town" with lots of dormitories and student-friendly establishments.
The village and parish are currently part of the conurbation known as Leicester city. The parish sits to the south-east of the city centre on the Leicester to Market Harborough road. If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A6 motorway southeast out of Leicester about three miles.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2007. Please don't tell the locals that I think it looks like a giant pair of salad tongs!
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Oadby to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Oadby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- There was an Anglian settlement here in the year 550. In 1760, the Anglian burial ground was discovered on Brock's Hill.
- The Oadby area is reputedly one of the areas where King Alfred the Great won one of his battles against the Danes.
- The town is most famous for the Leicester Racecourse, built in 1883, which sits on the border between Oadby and Leicester city.
- The University of Leicester also has Beauchamp College in this parish, as well as its Botanic Garden.
- In January, 1817, some 400 people rioted here, setting haystacks ablaze. The Leicester Cavalry and a detachment of Dragoons were called out to put down the riot. Three people were imprisoned.
- In the late 19th century a number of substantial homes were built here to house workers for Leicester's shoe and stocking manufacturer's employees. Oadby was a good location as the Leicester tram lines halted at the edge of the village.
- In 1904 the Baths were opened.
- In 1909 a set of Framework Knitters Homes were built on Stoughton Road, where you can still see them.
- Expansion of Oadby took place rapidly in the twentieth century and was still continuing in 2007. Many residential developments have been constructed.
- Stop by the Wheel Inn and ask about their history.
- Or try the Fox Inn and ask about their history.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Black Dog Inn and the Fox Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2017.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK625003 (Lat/Lon: 52.596909, -1.078719), Oadby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- From the 1086 Domesday Book, Oadby's name is recorded as "Aldebi".
- The name has since appeared as "Oladebi, Outherby, Onderby" and "Oadby".
- This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish is in the ancient Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county.
- The 1891 "Leicester Extension Act" added a part of Knighton parish to Oadby parish.
- In April, 1936, there were a series of changes to the parish boundaries involving surrounding parishes. Most of these changes enlarged the parish.
- Oadby is now part of the Leicester Urban Area.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
- In 1879, William WILKINSON left the sum of £1,330, the interest of which provided dinners and other comforts for the aged men and women of the parish at Christmas time.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Blaby Poorlaw Union.
- In 1908, the Honorable Society of Framework Knitters built 20 almshouses with 40 acres of land.
- David HALLAM-JONES provides a photograph of the Stoughton Road almshouses on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2013.
- In 1927, the North Memorial Homes complex was opened in the parish. David HALLAM-JONES provides a photograph of the North Memorial Homes on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2013. The caption provides a lot more information on their use.
Year Inhabitants 1801 624 1811 766 1821 856 1831 1,023 1841 1,085 1851 1,196 1861 1,254 1901 1,890 1911 2,609 1961 12,256 2001 22,729
- The Public Elementary School on Main Street was built in 1878 for 247 children.
- An Infants' School was built in 1911 for 200 children.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the former Board School on London Road on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.