Hide

Peatling Magna

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"PEATLING-MAGNA, a parish, with a village, in Lutterworth district, Leicester; on an affluent of the river Soar, 2½ miles S E of Countesthorpe r. station, and 6½ N E by N of Lutterworth. It has a post-office under Lutterworth. Acres, 1,900. Real property, £3,341. Pop., 272. Houses, 68. The manor belongs to W. Smith, Esq. The living is a vicarage, annexed to therectory of Willoughby-Waterless, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is old, and has a tower and spire. There is a national school."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)"

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 599
1861 R.G. 9 / 2247
1871 R.G. 10 / 3223
1891 R.G. 12 / 2490
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to All Saints.
     
  • The church was built in the 14th century.
     
  • The tower and spire were repaired in 1896.
     
  • The church was repaired in 1906.
     
  • The church seats 200.
     
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2011.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE also has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2011.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1565.
     
  • The church was in the rural Guthlaxton deanery (third portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Lutterworth sub-district of the Lutterworth Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Peatling Magna is a parish and a village 3 miles south of Leicester city. The parish covers just over 1,860 acres.

The land around the village has been mostly pasture for centuries. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A426 north out of Lutterworth and turn left at Dunton Bassett.
     
You can see pictures of Peatling Magna which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Peatling Magna has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The village hall was built in 1911.
     
  • Ian ROB has a photograph of The Old Cock Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2011.
     
topup

Manors

  • The author found mention of a manor house in the Leicestershire directories of 1881 and 1912, but no description. In 1912, it was occupied by David SPOKES, a farmer.
     
topup

Maps

  • The national grid reference is SP 5992.
     
  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP594925 (Lat/Lon: 52.527143, -1.125874), Peatling Magna which are provided by:

topup

Military History

The War Memorial for World War I is a wall-mounted brass plaque inside the parish church.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish lies in the Guthlaxton Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
  • The citizens of this parish have decided to forgo a formal Parish Council. They hold periodic Parish Meetings to discuss divic and political issues.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Lutterworth petty session hearings every other Thursday.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Lutterworth Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 170
1831 267
1841 308
1881 194
1891 160
1901 147
1911 183
topup

Schools

  • The children of this parish attended schools in Little Peatling and Willoughby Waterless.