"PLUNGAR, a parish, with a village, in the district of Bingham and county of Leicester: on the Grantham and Nottingham canal, adjacent to Notts, 4¾ miles S W of Bottesford r. station, and 10 N by E of Melton-Mowbray. Post-town, Barkston, under Nottingham. Acres 1,310. Real property, £1,443. Pop., 251. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £140. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church was repaired in 1829, and has a pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £11; and 14 children may be sent to Barkston free school."