Hide

Prestwold

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"PRESTWOLD, a township and a parish in Loughborough district, Leicester. The township lies on an affluent of the river Soar, near the boundary with Notts, 2½ miles E N E of Loughborough r. station; and has a wall letter-box under Loughborough. Real property, £1, 937. Pop., 72. Houses, 19. The parish contains also the townships of Hoton, Cotes, and Burton-on-the-Wolds. Acres, 4, 720. Real property, £10,026. Pop., 969. Houses, 215. The manor with Prestwold Hall belongs to Col.W. Packe. Burton Hall is the seat of Lord A. St. Maur. The living is a donative, united with the p. curacy of Hoton, in the diocese of Peterborough. The parish church is a handsome edifice, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Packes. Hoton church was rebuilt in 1837. There are two Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £37 a year, and charities £7."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Census

  • Prestwold was in the Leake subdistrict of the Loughborough registration district.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was reassigned to the Barrow-upon-Soar sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 13 covers the Barrow on Soar District of which Prestwold was a part.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2277
1871 R.G. 10 / 3260
1891 R.G. 12 / 2518
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Andrew.
     
  • In 1890 a major restoration and rebuilding of the church was undertaken.
     
  • The church is Grade II listed with British Heritage.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a nice photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
     
  • Basher EYRE has a photograph of the Church tower on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2014.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1560.
     
  • The Anglican parish church was in the rural deanery of Goscote (second portion). This became East Akeley by 1925.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
     
  • Prestwold was in the Leake subdistrict of the Loughborough registration district.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was reassigned to the Barrow-upon-Soar sub-district of the Loughborough Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Prestwold is a village, a township and a parish 118 miles north of London and just 2 miles north-east from Loughborough. The parish covered 4,720 acres until the 1860s, when several trownships were formed as new parishes and the parish shrank to 914 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, the B676 arterial road passes throught the village just north of Barrow on Soar.
     
You can see pictures of Prestwold which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Prestwold has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Manors

  • Prestwold Hall had a Doric front portico. The Hall dates from 1560 or earlier and was rebuilt and enlarged in 1846.
     
  • Chris J. DIXON has a nice photograph of Prestwold Hall on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2005.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK577215 (Lat/Lon: 52.787997, -1.145865), Prestwold which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • A monument in the church honors Major Robert Christopher PACKE who fell at Waterloo on 18 June 1815.
     
  • There is also a monument in the church to Lt-Col. George Hussey PACKE who served at Waterloo.
     
  • There is a paper Roll of Honour in a frame on the wall of St. Andrew's Church.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire and b ecame a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient West Goscote Hundred in the northern division of the county.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1760.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, Prestwold became part of the Loughborough Poor Law Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Loughborough petty session hearings.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 747
1811 855
1831 942
1841 1,043
1871 65
1881 63
1901 93