Hide

Queniborough

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"QUEENIBOROUGH, a parish, with a village, in Barrow-upon Soar district, Leicestershire; on an affluent of the river Wreak, 2¼ miles E by N of Syston r. station, and 6¼ N N E of Leicester. Post-town, Syston, under Leicester. Acres, 1,390. Real property, £4,278. Pop., 511. Houses, 129. The manor, with Upper Hall, belongs to Mrs. Williamson. Lower Hall is the seat of F. Ordish, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £106. Patron, T . Frewen, Esq. The church is decorated English, with tower and spire; and was restored in 1858. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £24."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales." 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

The Civic Cemetery is located on Rearsby Road. The cemetery is a relatively new facility, but an opening date could not be ascertained.

There appears to be a cemetery on Croxton Road, east of the village.  The Burial Committee of the Parish Council is responsible for managing that cemetery.  Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Croxton Road Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007

topup

Census

  • Queniborough was in the Syston subdistrict of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 23 covers the Syston subdistrict of which Queniborough is a part.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2282
1871 R.G. 10 / 3267
1891 R.G. 12 / 2523
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
     
  • Some sources list the church dedication as being to the Holy Cross.
     
  • The date of the original structure is not recorded but appears to be late 13th century.
     
  • The church was restored in 1858.
     
  • The tower and the spire were restored in 1883.
     
  • The tower clock was added in 1893 (to replace an older, smaller one).
     
  • The church was restored again in 1903-04.
     
  • The church is a Grade I structure with English Heritage.
     
  • The church seats 378.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2013.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the Church Spire on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2013.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1561.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Goscote (second portion).
     
  • The Baptists had a chapel founded here in 1821.
     
  • The Primitive Methodists had a chapel here in 1848.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
     
  • Queniborough was in the Syston subdistrict of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Queniborough is a village, a township and a parish in northern Leicestershire. The parish is 110 miles north of London, 6.5 miles north of Leicester city and 2.5 miles northeast of Syston parish. The parish covers about 2,200 acres.

There are a great many 16th to 20th century buildings along the Main Street. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, there is a turnoff from the A46 just north of Leicester city onto the A607 that takes you to Queniborough.
     
  • There are two Public Houses, the Horse & Groom and the Britannia Inn, in the centre of the village.
     
  • Stop by the Village Hall, built in 1973, to see what events are being held there.
     
You can see pictures of Queniborough which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Queniborough has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • In the 1700s and 1800s much of the land in the parish was used for grazing.
     
  • Stilton cheese was one of the prime agricultural products of the parish.
     
  • Stephen McKAY has a photograph of The Horse and Groom pub. on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2008.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Britannia Inn on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
     
topup

Manors

  • Upper Hall was at the south-east end of the village and was the residence of Mrs. Agnes WILLIAMSON, the lady of the manor in 1848.
     
  • Lower Hall was the residence of Mrs. Eliza KILBY in 1848.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW also has a photograph of Queniborough Hall on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2012.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK645125 (Lat/Lon: 52.706555, -1.047478), Queniborough which are provided by:

topup

Military History

St. Mary Churchyard contains one Commonwealth war grave from the First World War and one from the Second World War.

Alan-MURRAY-REED has a photograph of the Queniborough War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2013.

Another view of the Queniborough War Memorial is provided by the Parish Council in May, 2015.

Quineborough has a hardwoord framed Roll of Honour. Lettering on the frame is in gold and handwritten inscription on the Roll of Honour. The frame has column design along sides and is topped by pediment. A flower holder is placed at the foot of each column. There is a gold painted cross in the pediment.

topup

Military Records

The two Commonwealth War Graves in the churchyard are for (data from www.cwgc.org):

Name Rank Unit Died Family
Sidney BLACK Aircraftman 2nd Class RAF Volunteer Resrv 09 March 1943 Son of Edwin and Polly BLACK, of Syston
William GLOVER Driver R.F.A. H.Q, III Corps 19 April 1916 Husband of H.E. GLOVER.
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient East Goscote Hundred in the northern division of the county.
     
  • The parish became part of the Leicester Urban Area.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Barrow-upon-Soar Poor Law Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
  • In 1873 Allen BENT left £50, the interest from which was used to purchase coal at Christmas time for poor widows.
     
  • In 1879 William ADCOCK left £500, the interest from which was used to distribute coal annually to the poor.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 449
1841 530
1871 489
1881 549
1891 510
1901 532
1911 557
1921 648
1931 946
1951 1,201
1961 1,727
topup

Schools

  • A National School (later a Public Elementary School) was built here in 1848 (or 1847).
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Old School on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2013.
     
  • A new school was built to replace the one above in the 1970s. The old school is now used as a small swimming pool for the new school.