Hide

Redmile

hide
Hide

From John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72":

REDMILE, a parish, with a village, in the district of Grantham and county of Leicester; on the Granthamcanal, 2¾ miles S of Bottesford r. station, and 9 W of Grantham. Post-town, Bottesford, under Nottingham. Acres, 1,170. Real property, £3,090. Pop., 521. Houses, 116. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £450. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is early English, and has a tower and spire. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.
Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Denton sub-district of the Grantham (Lincoln) Registration District.
     
  • After the Poor Law Union was re-organized in 1891, the parish was in the Grantham North sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • There are census transcriptions at the Redmile Archive.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 588
1871 R.G. 10 / 3356
1891 R.G. 12 / 2583
 
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
     
  • The church was constructed starting in the 12th century.
     
  • The church was restored in 1883.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.
     
  • Julian P. GUFFOGG has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2016.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1658.
     
  • Redmile marriages from 1562-1837 are in Pallot's Marriage Index.
     
  • Linda BROCKWAY has compiled a booklet of Redmile Marriages 1653-1837, available from the local Family History Society.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Framland.
     
  • In 1912, the parish had a Primitive Methodist chapel.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the former Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016. The chapel has been sold and converted into a private residence.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Denton sub-district of the Grantham (Lincoln) Registration District.
     
  • After the Poor Law Union was re-organized in 1891, the parish was in the Grantham North sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Redmile is both a parish and a village about 119 miles north of London and lies in the Vale of Belvoir. The county boundary of Nottingham lies to the West. The town of Grantham is 9 miles to the east, Melton Mobray is 14 miles to the south and Newark is 12 miles to the north. The Knipton river and the Grantham Navigation Canal run thru the west side of the parish. The parish covered about 1,770 acres in 1891, but was only about 1,170 acres in 1801.

If you are planning a visit:

  • The village is just north-west off of the A607 trunk road between Grantham and Melton Mobray.
     
You can see pictures of Redmile which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Redmile has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • There is an interesting history at the Redmile Archive.
     
  • The Peacock Inn has a datestone of 1702.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Peacock Inn on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of The Windmill on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
     
  • "Redmile Remembered" is a photograph exhibition held at the parish church about once a year in May. The exhibition includes photographs of Redmile over time and there is usually no fee.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK797355 (Lat/Lon: 52.911027, -0.816297), Redmile which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of a World War II pillbox type FW3/22 on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2008. This pillbox is west of the village on the south bank of the Grantham Canal.
     
topup

Military Records

For a photograph of the Redmile War Memorial in the church and the list of names on it, see the Redmile Archive site.
 

topup

Names, Geographical

  • Although many tales abound, the village name appears to be from the red clay which surrounds the village. The clay has a high iron concentration.
     
  • The village was listed as "Red Mile" in the railway timetables.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the Melton district of Leicestershire.
     
  • The parish was in the Framland Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • In 1936 the adjoining civil parishes of Barkestone and Plungar were merged into Redmile, and the parish is sometimes known as Barkestone, Plungar and Redmile.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Belvoir petty session hearings which were held every other Monday.
     
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1792.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Grantham Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 301
1841 518
1851 527
1861 521
1881 489
1891 417
1901 401
1931 337
1971 674
topup

Schools

  • A National School was built here on the site of an older one in 1871.