Hide

Rotherby

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"Rotherby, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on the river Wreak, and on the Syston and Peterborough railway, ½ a mile N E of Brooksby r. station, and 5¼ W S W of Melton-Mowbray. Post-town, Frisby, under Leicester. Acres, 766. Real property, £1,671. Pop., 134. Houses, 27. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to L. Wilson, Esq. The Manor-House is the residence of T. Johnson, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Hoby, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is Norman, and has a tower and spire. There are a freeschool, and charities £15."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72",]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Roger TEMPLEMAN has a photograph of All Saints Churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Somerby sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The Melton Library holds copies of the Census for Rotherby LEI for 1841 thru 1891.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2299
1871 R.G. 10 / 3293
1891 R.G. 12 / 2543
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
     
  • The church was built in the 13th century.
     
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1882.
     
  • The church seats 110.
     
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2007.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a nighttime photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2006.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1561.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Goscote (second portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Somerby sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Rotherby was a village and a parish on the banks of the River Wreak, 5 miles southwest of Melton Mowbray and 108 miles north of London. The parish covered 766 acres before it was abolished.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A607 trunk road northeast out of Leicester city, heading for Melton Mobray. The road brushes the south edge of the village.
     
  • By rail, there is still a functional rail-line past the village, on the north side. Rail passenger service ceased in 1961.
     
You can see pictures of Rotherby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Rotherby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish land was mostly pasture, but corn and root crops were also grown.
     
topup

Manors

  • Rotherby Hall was the residence of Capt. Nugent St. Clair ALLFREY in 1912.
     
  • The Manor House was the residence of Capt. Phillip Peter Perring GOODCHILD in 1881.
     
  • Rotherby Hall was the residence of Miss HAMES in 1881.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK675165 (Lat/Lon: 52.741922, -1.001601), Rotherby which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Inside All Saints Church are two stained glass war memorial windows in the chancel and one in the nave, also a tablet, unveiled by Admiral Earl BEATTY (June, 1920) commemorating the 11 men of the village who fell in the Great War.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • The place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish is in the ancient East Goscote Hundred in the eastern division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1936, this Civil Parish was abolished and the area made part of the new Hoby with Rotherby Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 95
1841 142
1871 132
1881 153
1891 138
1901 111
1911 156
1921 128
1931 133
topup

Schools

  • A Public Elementary School was built in 1840 for 40 children.