Description in 1871:
"Saddington, a chapelry in Knaptoft parish, Leicester; near the Grand Union canal, 2 miles N N W of Theddingworth r. station, and 6 W N W of Market-Harborough. It has a post-office under Rugby. Acres, 1,710. Real property, £2,514. Pop., 241. Houses, 63. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Knaptoft, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is ancient but good, is small and cruciform, and has an open turret. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72"



Saddington Cemetery is just east of the village on the Saddington Road, just past Hillcote Farm.



  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2250
1871 R.G. 10 / 3226
1891 R.G. 12 / 2492

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Helen.
  • The church dates back to the 13th century.
  • The church tower was restored in 1707.
  • The church was rebuilt in 1872-73.
  • The church seats 130.
  • Ian ROB has a nice photograph of St. Helen's Church on Geo-graph, taken on a sunny day in April, 2014.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. Helen's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
  • Tim HEATON provides a side view of St. Helen's Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2011.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1538 for baptisms and marriages; burials from 1543.
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Guthlaxton (third portion).
  • The church overseers' account books survive for 1792 - 1824.
  • The General Baptists built a chapel here in 1848. It was small red-brick building with a slate roof.
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the Baptist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2006.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.

Description & Travel

Saddington is a parish, a township and a village in Leicestershire. It is about 90 miles north of London, 9 miles south-east of Leicester city and 8 miles north-west of Market Harborough. The parish covers just over 1,710 acres. Three branches of the Welland River flow through or by the parish; one branch forms part of the eastern parish boundary. The Saddington Reservoir lies to the south of the village.

The village sits on a rise above the river. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, it is probably easiest to take the A50 trunk road south out of Leicester city for about 9 miles to just past Bruntingthorpe village. Turn left and follow the sign to Saddington.
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Smeeton Road Bridge on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
  • The Grand Union Canal passes through the north of the parish, partly in the 1/2 mile long Fleckney Tunnel.
You can see pictures of Saddington which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Saddington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The Saddington Reservoir was built between 1793 and 1797. It was built as a catchment basin for the Grand Union Canal. The reservoir covers about 60 acres. The southern part lies in Gumley parish.
  • Richard WILLIAMS has a photograph of the Queens Head public house on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
  • The Queens Head has its own website.
  • These are the names associated with the Queen's Head in various directories:
Year  Person
1849 John TAYLOR
1861 Alfred BAIL
1881 Thomas DUNKLEY
1912 Jamers PEBERDY
1925 Walter PEBERDY


  • The Manor House stands a short distance west of the church. It dates from the early 19th century.
  • Saddington Hall stands across from the Manor House. It dates from 1679. Extensive restoration took place in the 19th century.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP658919 (Lat/Lon: 52.521016, -1.031671), Saddington which are provided by:


Military History

The War Memorial is a handwritten paper Roll of Honour with a picture of crossed Union Flags at the head, in a wooden frame, hanging in St Helen's Church. It honour all who served in World War I.



  • Most of the parish was grazing land.

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • The parish is in the ancient Gartree Hundred in the southern division of the county.
  • Some records for "town books" have survived and are at the Archives.
  • The citizens of Saddington have elected to forgo a formal parish council in favor of periodic Parish Meetings of the whole parish.
  • District governance is provided by the Harborough District Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Harborough petty session hearings held every other Tuesday.
  • In 1732, the Rev. W. SHIELD left a bequest, which in 1911 generated £2 and 12 shillings, which was distributed among the poor in bread each week.
  • The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1770.
  • In 1828, Mr. John HEYCOCK left a bequest, which in 1911 generated £11, which was distributed among the poor in beef at Christmas time.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Market Harborough Poorlaw Union.
  • Some records for Poor Relief in the parish have survived and are at the Archives.


 Year Inhabitants
1086 33
1801 241
1811 229
1821 263
1831 283
1841 279
1871 268
1881 185
1891 182
1901 243
1911 210
1921 213
1961 193


  • A day and Sunday School was opened in 1828.
  • The Public Elementary School (National School) was built in 1855-56 for 48 children. In 1931 this school was made into a junior school, the seniors being transferred to Church Langton to the east.