Hide

Saltby

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"SALTBY, a parish, with a village, in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on the Salt way, 5¼ miles N N E of Saxby r. station, and 8½ N E of Melton-Mowbray. Post-town Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 2,680. Real property, £2,661. Pop., 292. Houses, 58. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. There is a chalybeate spring. The parish is a meet for the Belvoir hounds. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Sproxton, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is old, and has a pinnacled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 588
1851 H.O. 107 / 2091
1861 R.G. 9 / 2304
1871 R.G. 10 / 3297
1891 R.G. 12 / 2546
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
     
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1885.
     
  • The church seats 170.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of St Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the church interior on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1565.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Framland (second portion).
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here prior to 1849.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Saltby is a village and a parish 6 miles east of Scalford, 9 miles northeast of Melton Mowbray and 122 miles north of London. The parish is in the Wold Hills and is bordered by Lincoln county to the east and Sproxton parish to the south.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the B676 arterial road east out of Melton Mobray. Turn left to find Saltby.
     
  • The River Eye has its source in this parish. The parish also has a chalybeate spring.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2008. Obviously, they could use your help with a more artistic and historically interesting sign.
     
You can see pictures of Saltby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Saltby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • This place was on the old Roman Road known as "the Saltway", hence the parish name.
     
  • Much of the parish land was used for farming.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK851264 (Lat/Lon: 52.82818, -0.738659), Saltby which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • RAF Saltby opened in August, 1941, as a grass landing field. Its eastern end was in Lincolnshire.
     
  • In 1944, the station was upgraded to 3 runways and additional buildings added.
     
  • In November, 1944, the airfield was taken over by the USAAF, who held it until early 1945.
     
  • The airfield closed for flight operations in 1945 and was kept in reserve until 1955.
     
  • Currently known as "Saltby Airfield," it is used by the Buckminster Gliding Club.
     
  • The shell of the old RAF control tower is about all that exists from its wartime days.
     
  • There is a War Memorial at Saltby Airfield, but no individuals are listed.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of the county and became a Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Framland Hundred in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • In 1881, the parish covered 2,680 acres. This was reduced by 1891 to 2,442 acres.
     
  • In April, 1936, this parish was abolished and all 2,442 acres were amalgamated with Sproxton Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1771.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Belvoir petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 299
1871 290
1881 272
1891 253
1901 227
1911 207
1921 192
1931 170
topup

Schools

  • A Public Elementary School (National School) was built here in 1871 to hold 60 children.