Description in 1871:
"SAXBY, a parish, with a village, in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on the river Eye and the Syston and Peterborough railway, 4½ miles E by N of Melton-Mowbray. It has a station on the railway ; and its post town is Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1,430. Real property, £2,363. Pop., 117. Houses, 23. The manor belongs to the Countess of Harborough. Ancient weapons, earthen urns, bridle bits, fibulæ, and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory, united with Stapleford, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £168. Patron, the Countess of Harborough. The church was rebuilt in 1789, and has a spire."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72",



  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 588
1861 R.G. 9 / 2304
1871 R.G. 10 / 3298
1891 R.G. 12 / 2546

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
  • The church was rebuilt in 1789.
  • The church was restored in 1874.
  • The church seats 110.
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of St Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2005.
  • Apparently the church has recently been sold and converted to a private residence.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1638 (other sources give 1593).
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Framland (second portion).

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.

Description & Travel

Saxby is a village and was a parish 4 miles east of Melton Mowbray and 117 miles north of London. The parish covered 1,412 acres and was bordered by Wymondham parish to the south-east.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the B676 arterial road east out of Melton Mobray. The road bisects Saxby village.
  • The stream in the parish feeds into the River Eye.
You can see pictures of Saxby which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Saxby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • Much of the parish land was used for paturage.
  • In this neighborhood, skeletons of men and horses, earthen urns, bridle bits, fibulae and weapons have been found three feet below the soil. These can be seen at Bede House in Melton Mowbray.


  • See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK821200 (Lat/Lon: 52.771564, -0.783978), Saxby which are provided by:


Military History

Saxby is one of the Thankful Villages, having suffered no casualties from the first World War.

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Memorial Plaque on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.


Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of the county and a Civil Parish as well, until 1936.
  • The parish was in the ancient Framland Hundred in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
  • In April, 1936, this parish was abolished and all 1,412 acres were amalgamated with Freeby Civil Parish.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.


 Year Inhabitants
1841 163
1871 126
1881 120
1891 182
1901 134
1911 116
1921 95
1931 89


  • The children of this parish attended school at Stapleford.