Hide

Saxelby

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"SAXELBY, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; 2¼ miles N N W of Kirby r. station, and 4 W N W of Melton-Mowbray. Post-town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1,290. Real property, £1,244. Pop., 120. Houses, 24. The manor belongs to the Earl of Aylesford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £227. Patron, the Earl of Aylesford. The church is old but good, and has a tower and spire. There are a national school, and charities £16."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72"].

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Light and shade in Saxelby churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.

Alan MURRAY-RUST has four photographs of gravestones in the churchyard:

  1. Richard BIRD died 1726
  2. Jasper SIMPSON died 1732
  3. Elizabeth SIMPSON, daughter of Jasper and Alice SIMPSON, died 1696
  4. Tom STRINGER, son of Charles and Elizabeth STRINGER, died 1717
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Melton Mowbray sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2301
1871 R.G. 10 / 3295
1891 R.G. 12 / 2544
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
     
  • The original date of sconstruction has not been recorded.
     
  • The church seats 110.
     
  • Geoff PICK has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2003.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of St. Peter's Church porch and tower on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1537.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Goscote (second portion) {also given as Framland (third portion)].
     
  • The residents of Shoby, an extra-parochial liberty just west of Saxelby used this church for marriages. baptisms and burials.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Melton Mowbray sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Saxelby is a small village and a parish in the Wold hills 4 miles north-west of Melton Mowbray, 9 miles northeast of Leicester city and 109 miles north of London. The parish was bordered by Asfordby parish to the south. The parish covered 1,052 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A6006 arterial road west out of Melton Mobray. Turn right at Asfordby to find Saxelby.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the village sign on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2008.
     
  • Alex MacGREGOR also has a photograph of the village sign on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2008.
     
  • There is a rail line just south-west of the village but passenger service is not noted. Grimston station stood in this parish.
     
  • If you are travelling by horse, Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the Warning Sign for Riders on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2006.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011. When it is open, stop by and ask for a list of forth-coming events.
     
You can see pictures of Saxelby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Saxelby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Much of the parish land was used for grazing.
     
  • Stilton cheese was made here.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK700211 (Lat/Lon: 52.783039, -0.963707), Saxelby which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of the county and became a Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient East Goscote Hundred in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1936, this parish was abolished and all 1,052 acres were amalgamated with Grimston Civil Parish.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Melton Borough Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 112
1861 120
1871 91
1881 84
1891 98
1901 94
1911 109
1921 71
1931 75
topup

Schools

  • A Public Elementary School (National School) was built here by 1849.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Old School on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
     
  • Many children from this parish attended school in Grimston.