Hide

Shangton

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"SHANGTON, a parish in Market-Harborough district, Leicester; 2¾ miles E N E of Kibworth r. station. Post-town, Leicester. Acres, 1,590. Real property, £1,969. Pop., 82. Houses, 16. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough Value, £360* Patron, Sir C E. Isham, Bart. The church was restored in 1851, and the chancel rebuilt in 1863."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2250
1871 R.G. 10 / 3226
1891 R.G. 12 / 2492
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
     
  • The church dates back to the 13th century.
     
  • The church was thoroughly restored in 1845-46.
     
  • The church chancel was rebuilt in 1863.
     
  • The church seats 100.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of St. Nicholas Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2006.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1580 for baptisms, 1581 for marriages and 1582 for burials.
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Gartree (second portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Market Harborough sub-district of the Market Harborough Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Shangton is a parish and a small village in a sequestered valley in Leicestershire, not far from Watling Street and close to the route of the old Roman Road that runs southeast out of Leicester. It is about 95 miles north of London, 8 miles southeast of Leicester city and 6 miles north of Market Harborough. Tur Langton parish lies to the south and Carlton Curlieu parish to the west. The parish covers 1,268 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, it is probably easiest to take the B6047 arterial road north out of Market Harborough. Shangton will be just off the road to the west.
     
You can see pictures of Shangton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Shangton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • About 3/4 of a mile from the church is where the "Grate Bush" court was formerly held.
     
  • The parish was largely used for grazing land.
     
topup

Manors

  • Shangton Hall was occupied by Joseph John BROWN in 1881.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP714963 (Lat/Lon: 52.560282, -0.948257), Shangton which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • The place was an ancient parish of Leicester county as well as a Civil Parish.
     
  • The parish is in the ancient Gartree Hundred in the southern division of the county.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Harborough petty session hearings held every other Tuesday.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Market Harborough Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1821 44
1841 39
1851 55
1871 101
1881 74
1891 77
1901 51
1911 42
1921 58
1961 47
topup

Schools

  • There was a small school in the parish by 1881.
     
  • By 1912, the children of this parish were attending school in nearby Church Langton.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the turnoff to CARE on Geo-graph, taken in July, 20076. CARE is home to people with learning disabilities.