Hide

Sileby

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"SILEBY, a village and a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester. The village stands on the Midland railway, 1½ mile E by N of Mountsorrel; consists chiefly of two streets, crossing each other nearly at right angles; is traversed by the railway on a lofty embankment and viaduct; and has a post-office under Loughborough. The parish comprises 2,190 acres. Real property, £5,914. Pop., 1,572. Houses, 377. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to W. A. Pochin, Esq. The manufacture of hosiery is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £158. Patron, W. A. Pochin, Esq. The church is decorated English, and has a fine lofty pinnacled tower. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £43."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72"]

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

The Sileby Library on Cossington Road is a branch of the Leicester County Council Library System. It is open 5 days each week (verify by phone if you are visiting).

topup

Cemeteries

  • A cemetery of about 2 acres was consecrated here in 1881 and was managed by a Burial Board in the Parish Council.
     
  • The cemetery had two mortuary chapels.
     
  • The cemetery is managed bu the Sileby Parish Council.
     
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Barrow upon Soar sub-district of the Barrow upon Soar Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 13 covers the Barrow on Soar sub-district.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2087
1861 R.G. 9 / 2279
1871 R.G. 10 / 3262
1891 R.G. 12 / 2519
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin.
     
  • The church was built in the reign of King Henry VI (early 14th century).
     
  • A large elm tree in the churchyard is reputedly as old as the church.
     
  • The church was restored in 1880.
     
  • The church seats 420.
     
  • The church is a Grade II listed building with British Heritage.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of St Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013.
     
  • And David HALLAM-JONES has a 2nd photograph of St Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2016.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1568 for baptisms and burials and 1592 for marriages.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Goscote (second portion).
     
  • The Catholics had a chapel, dedicated to Saint Gregory, built before 1912.
     
  • The General Baptists built a chapel here in 1800.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists and the Primitive Methodists had chapels here prior to 1849.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the former Wesleyan Methodists chapel on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013. The chapel is now a Community Centre and Sports Hall.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Barrow upon Soar sub-district of the Barrow upon Soar Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Sileby is a town and a parish about 8 miles north of the city of Leicester, 5 miles southeast of Loughborough and 105 miles north of London. The village sits just east of the River Soar on a rivulet that empties into that river. The parish covers about 2,250 acres.

The town was a framework-knitting centre in your ancestors' time. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A46 north out of Leicester. At the roundabout just before Ratcliffe on the Wreake, turn left (west) for Sileby.
     
  • The Midland Railway provided daily service to Sileby and had a train station downtown that opened in 1840.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the village sign on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE provides a view of the railway station at Geo-graph, taken in January, 2016.
     
  • There is a view of King Street at Geo-graph.
     
You can see pictures of Sileby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Sileby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of the Maltings tower on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2007.
     
  • Tim HEATON has a photograph of the Free Trade Inn on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2007. It may be the only remaining thatched roof in the village.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Horse & Trumpet Inn on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2008.
     
  • These are the names associated with the Horse and Trumpet in various directories:
     
Year  Person
1849 Mrs. Ann PETTIFOR
1863 Alfred NEWBALL
1881 Mrs. Mary NEWBALL
1899 Tom CHAMBERLAIN
1912 Henry GILES
1925 Edwin SMITH
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK606154 (Lat/Lon: 52.732862, -1.104298), Sileby which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • A War Memorial was erected in 1920 at Sileby Memorial Park on Seagrave Road. It is a stone cenotaph on a pedestal about 4 metres high with the names from both World War I and World War II on slate plaques.
     
  • There is a photo of the War Memorial online, along with the names of the fallen.
     
  • The War Memorial is a Grade II protected structure with English Heritge.
     
topup

Military Records

There are eight Commonwealth War Graves in the churchyard.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient East Goscote Hundred in the northern division of the county.
     
  • You can contact The Sileby Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they will not assist with family history questions or lookups.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Charnwood Borough Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Loughborough petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Barrow-upon-Soar Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 1,473
1871 1,766
1881 2,033
1891 2,380
1901 2,752
1911 3,082
1921 3,202
1931 3,598
1951 4,236
topup

Schools

  • The parish had a small Free School in 1849 for the education of six poor boys, It was conducted in the tower of the church.
     
  • A National School (Public Elementary) was built (and opened) in February, 1860, to hold 220 children. It was enlarged in 1877.
     
  • An infant school was built in 1874 to hold 100 children. This was enlarged in 1888 to hold 132 children.
     
  • In 1880 new schools (Public Elementary) were built to augment the above schools. They could hold 400 children.
     
  • Ratcliffe College on the east side of the parish is an HMC, co-educational Catholic independent school.