Hide

South Croxton

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"CROXTON (South), a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester; on an affluent of the river Wreak, 4 miles SSE of Brooksby r. station, and 7 SW of Melton-Mowbray. It has a post office, of the name of Croxton, under Leicester. Acres, 1,760. Real property, £2,535. Pop., 311. Houses, 68. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £130. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is old but good; and comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and steeple. Charities, £32 and four cottages."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72"].

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

"The Willows Natural Burial Ground" is 8 miles north east of Leicester City centre on South Croxton Road, just north of the village. There is no office at the burial grounds. Contact information is on their website.

Tim HEATON has a photograph of The Willows Natural Burial Ground on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2016.
 

topup

Census

  • South Croxton was in the Syston sub-district of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print and Volume 23 covers the Syston subdistrict of which the parish is a part.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2282
1871 R.G. 10 / 3267
1891 R.G. 12 / 2523
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
     
  • There was an earlier church, probably Saxon, on or near the church construction site.
     
  • The date of the second structure is reported as "just before 1090".
     
  • The date of the current structure is sometime in the 14th century.
     
  • The tower has been dated to 1355.
     
  • On June 4th 1936 the tower was struck by lightning. Within the same year repairs to the tower were carried out, and a plaque in the tower commemorates this achievement.
     
  • The church seats 157.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. John The Baptist Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
     
  • Ashley DACE has a photograph of the church interior on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2011.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1662 but is incomplete.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Goscote (first portion).
     
  • The Primitive Methodists had a chapel built here in 1857.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
     
  • South Croxton was in the Syston sub-district of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
     
topup

Description & Travel

South Croxton is a village and a parish in Charnwood district of Leicestershire. The parish is 100 miles north of London, 9 miles southwest of Melton Mowbray, 5 miles from Syston, and 9 miles north-east from Leicester city. The parish lies on the Queniborough Brook (also known as the Croxton Stream) and covers 1,663 acres. This parish was largely grazing land in the 1800s. Barsby parish lies to the northeast and Beeby parish to the southwest.

In 1995, the last farm shop in the village closed. There are no local shops unless you go to Gaddesby. The village has a playing field with a slide and a single football goal. The village lies on a hill, below the 14th century church. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, probably the simplest route is to head east out of Syston.
     
  • And don't pass up the village photographs at Flickr.
     
You can see pictures of South Croxton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which South Croxton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the Queens Golden Jubilee Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2006.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Golden Fleece public house on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
     
  • These are the names associated with the Golden Fleece Inn in various directories:
     
Year  Person
1849 Mrs. Ann LEATHERLAND
1861 Thomas LEATHERLAND, blacksmith & vict.
1881 Thomas LEATHERLAND, blacksmith
1892 William JOBEN
1912 Benjamin Vincent BROADWELL
1925 Benjamin Vincent BROADWELL
topup

Manors

  • Baggrave Hall (sometimes spelled Bargrave) is a mile outside of Croxton to the southeast. In 1848 it was the seat of Captain (later General) E. S. BURNABY.
     
  • In 1861, Edwyn BURNABY resided in Baggrave Hall.
     
  • Stephen RICHARDS has a photograph of Baggrave Hall on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2003.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK691102 (Lat/Lon: 52.685095, -0.979227), South Croxton which are provided by:

topup

Military History

In 1878, Edwyn Sherard BURNABY was appointed Honorary Colonel of the 1st Leicestershire Rifle Volunteer Corps. This Corps went on to become the parent unit of the Territorial Army battalions of the Leicestershire Regiment, which served on the Western Front during World War I. BURNABY, however, died on 31 May 1883 in Brighton.

The War Memorial is a Celtic style cross with sloping plinth in the Churchyard.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient West Goscote Hundred in the northern division of the county.
     
  • On 24 March, 1884, this parish lost a parcel of land to Barsby Civil Parish, but gained the "Barsby Lodge" area of that same parish. Net loss 97 acres.
     
  • You can contact the local Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they do NOT have the staff or resources to help you with family history searches.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard at the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1794.
     
  • In 1802, four small tenements for the poor were purchases with money left by Henry MOWBRAY.
     
  • After the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Mount Sorrel Poor Law Union.
     
  • Around 1850 the Mount Sorrel Poor Law Union became a part of the Barrow-upon-Soar Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1831 315
1841 297
1871 296
1881 251
1891 234
1901 222
1911 211
1921 200
1931 221
topup

Schools

  • In 1861, Ann MORLEY was the schoolmistress in this parish.
     
  • A local School Board was formed in January, 1881. It was reformed under the control of the Leicester County Coucnil in July, 1903.
     
  • A Public Elementary School was built in 1884 to hold 60 children.