Hide

Stapleford

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"STAPLEFORD, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; near Saxby r. station, and 4 miles E by S of Melton-Mowbray. Post town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 3,960. Real property, £3,696. Pop., 109. Houses, 28. S. Hall is the seat of the Countess of Harborough. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Saxby. The church was built in 1783. Charities, £148."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72".

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 588
1861 R.G. 9 / 2304
1871 R.G. 10 / 3298
1891 R.G. 12 / 2546
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene.
     
  • The church was built in 1783 of stone.
     
  • The church seats 200.
     
  • John SALMON has a photograph of St Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2002.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1579 (some sources say 1578).
     
  • The church is in the rural deanery of Framland (second portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District until 1935.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Stapleford was a village and a parish 4 miles east of Melton Mowbray and 101 miles north of London. The parish sits right on the border of Rutland county. The River Eye and the Oakham Canal pass through the parish, which covers 2,226 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the B676 arterial road east out of Melton Mobray. Turn right just before Saxby to find Stapleford.
     
  • Several streams in the parish feed into the River Eye.
     
You can see pictures of Stapleford which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stapleford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • There was a Roman settlement in the parish.
     
  • Much of the parish land was used for grazing.
     
topup

Manors

  • Stapleford Hall was the seat of the Earl of Harborough. It sat in a park of 900 acres.
     
  • The manor was reparied by William, 1st Baron Sherard, in 1633. It was reparied again in 1885.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK812182 (Lat/Lon: 52.75532, -0.798295), Stapleford which are provided by:

topup

Military History

There is a handwritten WWI Roll of Honour signed by the Duke of Rutland on the wall of St. Mary Magdalene's Church.

topup

Names, Geographical

  • "Stapleford" is Old English for "crossing marked by a stick or post".
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish of the county.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient Framland Hundred in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • In 1881, the parish covered 3,960 acres. This was reduced by 1891 to 2,273 acres.
     
  • In April, 1936, this parish was abolished and the area made part of Freeby Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 179
1831 185
1841 184
1871 114
1881 114
1891 125
1901 142
1911 170
1921 133
1931 145
topup

Schools

  • In 1881, this parish boasted a small school used by this parish and Saxby.
     
  • A Public Elementary School was built here in 1888 to hold 60 children. Again, students from Saxby were welcome.