Hide

Stathern

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"STATHERN, a parish, with a village, in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; 6 miles SSW of Bottesford r. station. Post town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1,420. Real property, £3,952. Pop., 524. Houses, 124. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £700. Patron, St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The church is old but good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £8."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-1872"].

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • The parish established a 3/4 acre cemetery in 1879. It was placed under the control of the parish council's Burial Board.
     
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Clawson sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the new Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 588
1861 R.G. 9 / 2303
1871 R.G. 10 / 3296
1891 R.G. 12 / 2545
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Guthlac.
     
  • The church construction date is unknown. It appears to be Norman from the 1400s.
     
  • The church was restored in 1875.
     
  • The church seats 250.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of St. Guthlac's Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1567.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Framland (first portion).
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built here before 1849.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Clawson sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the new Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Stathern is a parish and a village in the far northeast of the county in the Vale of Belvior in the Wold Hills. The parish lies about 115 miles north of London, about 9 miles north of Melton Mobray and about the same distance southwest of Grantham in Lincolnshire. The parish covers 2,141 acres and abuts the Nottingham and Grantham Canal on the north side of the parish.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, from the A607 trunk road out of Melton Mowbray, turn northwest (left) at Branston to arrive at Stathern.
     
  • There are several scenes around the village at GeoGraph.org.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph down Main Street on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
     
  • Kate JEWELL also provides a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
     
You can see pictures of Stathern which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stathern has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • A good portion of the parish was farmland.
     
  • The village was known for lace making, matting and brick making.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK772311 (Lat/Lon: 52.871846, -0.854506), Stathern which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Stathern has a War Memorial Institute (Hall) that was built in 1937 on the main street. The Hall has been enlarged and refurbished in recent years.
     
  • The Hall can be hired (rented) for family re-unions and other events.
     
  • Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the War Memorial Institute on Geo-graph, taken in 2012.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of a holdover from World War II in this Pillbox type FW3/22 as shown Geo-graph, taken in July, 2005.
     
  • Stathern has two graves from World War II in its cemetery.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This parish was an "ancient parish" of Leicestershire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the Framland Hundred in the northern portion of the county.
     
  • Stathern is governed by a Parish Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • In 1660, Mr. WIlliam HAND bequeathed £20 for the poor. This was used to purchase a house and three acres of land, which by 1849 was earning £16 and 11s each year.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Belvior petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 404
1821 456
1841 549
1861 524
1871 495
1881 539
1891 608
1901 594
1911 578
1921 531
1931 528
topup

Schools

  • The Public Elementary School (National School) was built in 1845 and enlarged in 1894 to hold 183 children.