Hide

Stonesby

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"STONESBY, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; 3¾ miles N of Saxby r. station, and 6 NE of Melton-Mowbray. Post town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1,370. Real property, £2,156. Pop., 271. Houses, 61. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £90. Patron, the Rev. H. J. Shephard. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities, £11."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-1872".

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • Stonesby has a separate cemetery about a mile north-east of the village, just before Stonesby road.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW has a photograph of the Stonesby Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
     
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transfered to the new Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 588
1861 R.G. 9 / 2304
1871 R.G. 10 / 3297
1891 R.G. 12 / 2546
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint Peter.
     
  • The church construction date is unknown. It appears to be early Norman.
     
  • The church was restored in 1875.
     
  • The church seats 200.
     
  • Kate JEWELL has a photograph of St Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1640 (some sources show 1578).
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Framland (second portion).
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built here before 1849.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Window and datestone, Stonesby Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the new Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Stonesby is a parish and a village in the northeast of the county in the Wold Hills, just north of a small stream that feeds into the nearby River Eye. The parish is about 121 miles north of London, 6 miles northeast of Melton Mobray. The parish covered 1,423 acres and includs a feeder stream to the River Eye.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, from the A607 trunk road, turn east at Waltham to arrive at Stonesby.
     
You can see pictures of Stonesby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stonesby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • A good portion of the parish was pasture, but most of the rest was farmland.
     
  • In the 1840s some 50 people of the parish emigrated to Canada.
     
topup

Manors

  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the The Manor House on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK823247 (Lat/Lon: 52.813572, -0.780368), Stonesby which are provided by:

topup

Military History

The is a Memorial Plaque in St Peter's Church commemorating those of Stonesby who fell in the World Wars.

topup

Politics & Government

  • The parish was in the Framland Hundred (Wapentake) in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • This parish was an "ancient parish" of Leicestershire as well as a modern Civil Parish until 1936.
     
  • This parish boundaries were adjusted slightly around 1886 to take the parish from 1,370 acres to 1,423 acres.
     
  • In April, 1936, the parish of Stonesby was abolished and the land of 1,423 acres amalgamated with that of Sproxton Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
  • In 1879, William BEEBY left £1,000. Half of the interest from that was distributed to the poor as coal. The other half went to support the local school.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 181
1821 246
1841 288
1861 271
1871 236
1881 216
1891 231
1901 199
1911 172
1931 140
topup

Schools

  • The Public Elementary School (National School) was built in 1850 for 36 children.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the The Old School on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2016.