Hide

Stoughton

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"STOUGHTON, a chapelry in Thurnby parish, Leicestershire; 3½ miles ESE of Leicester r. station. Post town, Leicester. Acres, 1,449. Real property, £2,897. Pop., 119. Houses, 27. The manor, with S. Grange, belongs to H. L. Powys-Keck, Esq. The living is annexed to Thurnby. The church was rebuilt in 1864. There are church lands £36."
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72".

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. Mary and All Saints churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2020.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1871 R.G. 10 / 3228
1881 R.G. 11 / 3124
1891 R.G. 12 / 2494
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary and All Saints.
     
  • The date of original construction is not reported.
     
  • The church was rebuilt in 1866.
     
  • The church is a Grade II listed heritage building.
     
  • The church seats 162.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2011.
     
  • Stephen SWEENEY also has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2011.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the 14th century Churchyard Cross on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2011.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1537.
     
  • The Anglican parish register starts with baptisms in 1538, burials in 1538 and marriages in 1537. The registers are available at the Archives.
     
  • The Bishop's Transcripts start in 1564, but have gaps.
     
  • Phillimore has Marriages 1537 - 1837 for this parish.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Gartreee, second portion.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Billesdon sub-district of the Billesdon Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Stoughton is a village and a parish just east of Leicester and south of Thurnby. The parish covers 1,359 acres.

Leicester airport lies close to the village. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A16 trunk road east out of Leicester city and turn south (right) into Thurnby. Take the county road, Thurnby Lane, out to Stoughton.
     
You can see pictures of Stoughton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stoughton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • This was primarily a sheep-raising area for centuries.
     
topup

Manors

  • Stoughton Grange was an old mansion and the residence of Harry Leycester POWYS-KECK in 1871 and 1881.
     
  • The Grange was unoccupied in 1924.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK640021 (Lat/Lon: 52.612914, -1.056229), Stoughton which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • In 1942 the RAF built an airfield just south-east of the village and christened it "Stoughton Aerodrome." The name was later changed to RAF Leicester East.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of the former RAF Leicester East on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2014.
     
topup

Military Records

The Honorable Major Henry Littleton POWYS-KECK was buried here on 16 Jul 1863. He had served with the 60th Royal Rifles.

topup

Names, Geographical

  • The name Stoughton started out as "Stoctone".
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient lordship and chapelry in Thurnby parish in Leicester county.
     
  • This chapelry was converted to a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
     
  • The parish was in the Gartree Hundred (Wapentake) in the southern division of the county.
     
  • In April, 1936, the parish was enlarged by 17 acres taken from Evington parish when it was dissolved, but lost 171 acres to Oadby Civil Parish at the same time.
     
  • The Stoughton Parish Council meets in the Village Hall, a small red-brick building on the main road. As with all parish councils, they are not staffed or equipped to help with family history searches.
     
  • The parish is now part of the Harborough District Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Leicester petty session hearings.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the chapelry and parish became part of the Billesdon Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1871 139
1881 144
1891 118
1901 136
1911 136
1921 108
topup

Probate Records

In August, 1863, Major Henry Littleton POWYS-KECK left a Will mentioning Harry Leycester POWYS-KECK, who is mentioned in the Manors section above.

topup

Schools

  • The children of this parish attended school in Thurnby village.