Hide

Sutton Cheney

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"SUTTON-CHENEY, a chapelry in Market-Bosworth parish, Leicester; 5 miles N by W of Hinckley r. station. It has a postal pillar-box under Hinckley. Acres, 1,520. Real property, £2,558. Pop., 352. Houses, 78. The manor belongs to W. Stewart, Esq. Lime is calcined, and bricks are made. The living is annexed to Market-Bosworth. The church is good. There are a free school and alms houses, the latter with £24 a year."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72"].

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Market Bosworth sub-district of the Market Bosworth Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. Volume 2 which has been published on microfiche only.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2263
1871 R.G. 10 / 3239
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Saint James.
     
  • The church was listed in 1849 as a Gothic structure with a low tower.
     
  • The church chancel was restored in 1876.
     
  • John SALMON has a photograph of St. James Church with the daffodills in bloom on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2003.
     
  • Christine MATTHEWS has a photograph of the church interior on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1678.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Sparkenhoe (first portion). Later this was the Akeley rural deanery (southern division).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Market Bosworth sub-district of the Market Bosworth Registration District.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Sutton Cheney is a village, a township and a parish which sits 2 miles south-east of Market Bosworth and 5 miles north-west of Hinckley. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch Canal forms the western parish boundary. The parish covered 1,520 acres in 1841, but was much larger after 1935.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A447 north out of Hinckley or south out of Ibstock. Sutton Cheney is just to the west of the A447.
     
You can see pictures of Sutton Cheney which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Sutton Cheney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Between the village and the canal is the Redmoor Plain, which is the site of the battle of Bosworth Field.
     
  • Thomas SIMPSON, the great mathematician who died in 1761, is buried here.
     
  • The parish has a long history of brick-making.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Hercules Inn on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2009.
     
  • These are the names associated with the Hercules Inn in various directories:
Year  Person
1881 George BUSBY, butcher
1892 Mrs. Ann RAVEN
1912 Richard Wm. FORRYAN
1925 Richard Wm. FORRYAN
topup

Manors

  • In 1849, Sutton Cheney manor house was the residence of Richard SMITH.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK416005 (Lat/Lon: 52.600704, -1.387225), Sutton Cheney which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • In 1922 a cross was erected in the churchyard in memory of those who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918.
     
topup

Military Records

  • John SALMON has a photograph of the War Memorial plaque inside the church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2012.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • Sutton Cheney was an ancient chapelry in Leicester county and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866, splitting off from Market Bosworth parish.
     
  • The parish lies in the Sparkenhoe Hundred (Wapentake) in the southern division of the county.
     
  • On 1 April, 1935, Dadlington Civil Parish was abolished and 1,028 acres merged with this Civil Parish.
     
  • On 1 April, 1935, Shenton Civil Parish was abolished and 1,547 acres merged with this Civil Parish.
     
  • The Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council provide district governance.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • In 1612, Sir William ROBERTS established six almshouses for six poor aged men.
     
  • Stephan CZAPSKI has a photograph of some almshouses in Sutton Cheney on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2010.
     
  • The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1794.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Market Bosworth Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Market Bosworth petty session hearings.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 352
1871 340
1881 300
1891 239
1901 205
1911 182
1921 215
1931 207
topup

Schools

  • A Free School was established here prior to 1849.