Hide

Swithland

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"SWITHLAND, a parish, with a village, in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester; 2½ miles SW of Mount-sorrel, and 4 WSW of Sileby r. station. It has a post-office under Loughborough. Acres, 2,180. Real property, £2,018; of which £37 are in blue-slate quarries. Pop., 255. Houses, 53. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to the Earl of Lanesborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English. There is a Wesleyan chapel."

[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72"].

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

topup

Census

  • Swithland was in the Quordon subdistrict of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
     
  • The 1851 census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2280
1871 R.G. 10 / 3263
1891 R.G. 12 / 2520
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church for Swithland is dedicated to Saint Leonard.
     
  • The church was constructed during the 13th century.
     
  • The church tower was added in the 18th century.
     
  • The church seats 250.
     
  • Ashley DACE has a photograph of St. Leonard's Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2012.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1676.
     
  • The church was in the East Akeley rural deanery.
     
  • The Weslyean Methodists had a chapel here built in 1828.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Swithland was in the Quordon subdistrict of the Barrow-on-Soar registration district.
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Swithland is a village and a parish 6 miles south of Loughborough, just 3 miles west of Mountsorrel and 8 miles north-west of Leicester city. The parish covers 1,140 acres.

The village stands across a small stream at the east end. If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A6 trunk road north out of Leicester city for about 7 miles. Turn west at Rothley and follow the county roads out to Swithland.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Main Street on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
     
  • There was never any railway passenger service to Swithland. The nearest passenger terminal was at Rothely.
     
  • The local pub, Griffin Inn, has a long history and a website.
     
You can see pictures of Swithland which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Swithland has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Slate quarrying in the area dates back to Roman times.
     
  • A great deal of blue slate was quarried here, but the quarries were abandoned by 1912.
     
  • Reservoirs were created here to serve the population of Leicester city.
     
  • Robin WEBSTER has a photograph of Swithland Reservoir on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2016.
     
  • Swithland was designated a conservation area in 1993.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of The Griffin Inn on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007. This place had been built in 1700 and was the Griffin Hotel for many decades.
     
topup

Manors

  • Swithland Hall was the seat of the Earl of Lanesborough. It stands on a hill and affords many nice views of the surrounding territory. The initial building was consumed by fire in 1822. A new Hall was partially completed in 1834 and finished in 1852.
     
  • Near the Hall stands an ancient cross which had stood in the market place at Montsorrel.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK549131 (Lat/Lon: 52.712784, -1.188782), Swithland which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • The War Memorial cross was dedicated in December 1921, opposite the Leicester Lane junction. The plaque bears 5 names from World War One and one name from World War II.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Leicester county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • The parish was in the ancient West Goscote Hundred in the Northern (or Mid) division of the county.
     
  • In Oct., 1912, this Civil Parish was reduced by 5 acres to enlarge Rothley Civil Parish.
     
  • In April, 1968, this civil parish gained 12 acres from Newton Linford Civil Parish.
     
  • The residents of this parish have decided to forgo a formal Parish Council and, instead, hold periodic Parish Meetings to discuss civic and political issues.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Barrow-upon-Soar Poorlaw Union.
     
  • Bastardy cases were heard at the Loughborough petty sessional hearings.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 306
1871 255
1881 246
1891 213
1901 195
1911 182
1921 190
1931 168
topup

Schools

  • A Free School was erected here in 1843 for 58 children and supported by the Earl of Lanesborough.