Hide

Sysonby

hide
Hide

Description in 1871:
"SYSONBY, a chapelry in Melton-Mowbray parish, Leicester; 1 mile W of Melton-Mowbray r. station. Post town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 980. Real property, £1,920. Pop., 67. Houses, 11. The manor belongs to Earl Dysart. The living is annexed to Melton-Mowbray. The church is good."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-1872"].

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the new Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
  • The 1851 Census for Leicestershire has been indexed by the Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society. The whole index is available on microfiche. The society has also published it in print.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 588
1861 R.G. 9 / 2301
1871 R.G. 10 / 3295
1891 R.G. 12 / 2544
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary (that dedication is uncertain).
     
  • The church is a small building with a single bell, reportedly originally built in 1344.
     
  • The church was reported to be in bad condition in 1881 and was restored in 1892.
     
  • The churchyard was enlarged by 1/2 acre in 1898.
     
  • Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
     
  • Andrew TATLOW also has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register was kept in Melton Mowbray.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Framland (third portion).
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Waltham sub-district of the Melton Mowbray Registration District.
     
  • In 1935, the parish was transferred to the new Melton and Belvoir Registration District.
     
topup

Description & Travel

Sysonby is a parish and a hamlet on the north side of the Wreak and Eye navigation canal. The parish is about 106 miles north of London and 1 mile west of Melton Mobray. The parish covered 1,240 acres. There is not much left of the old village. The parish was once a large farm, but many of the old buildings have been demolished or converted to residences.

If you are planning a visit:

  • By automobile, take the A5006 arterial road west about 1 mile out of Melton Mowbray.
     
  • There is no longer any passenger rail service to Sysonby.
     
You can see pictures of Sysonby which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Sysonby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The parish was mostly pasture, and most of the residents were graziers.
     
topup

Maps

  • See our Maps page for additional resources.
     

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK738190 (Lat/Lon: 52.76357, -0.907738), Sysonby which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • In 1912, the Army had seized the Melbourne Lodge stud farm for thoroughbred horses and was using it as an Army Remount Depot. Major E. G. TOMBLINGS was in charge. Major TOMBLINGS retired in 1916. It was still in use for this purpose in 1925, when Major Samuel G. SANDERS was in charge.
     
  • Private Sydney Wilfrid HANDLEY, 19th Hussars, was buried here in 1917. The Melton Remount Depot supplied the bearers, and a contingent of the Royal Flying Corps., followed. A firing party was furnished from Glen Parva Barracks.
     
  • In Sysonby Churchyard are 4 Commonwealth war graves from World War I and 5 from World War II. One of those graves is for Major Ronald Anthony MARKHAM of the 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards, who died on 25 October 1914.
     
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was a township and a chapelry of Leicestershire in Melton Mowbray for centuries. It becames a modern Civil Parish in December 1866 and was abolished as such in 1930.
     
  • The parish was in the Framland Hundred (Wapentake) in the northern (or eastern) division of the county.
     
  • This parish boundaries were adjusted slightly around 1886 to take the parish from 980 acres to 1,240 acres.
     
  • On 8 November, 1894, the hamlet of Eye Kettleby was transferred to Sysonby Civil Parish.
     
  • On 1 October, 1930, the parish of Sysonby was abolished and the land of 1,240 acres amalgamated with that of Melton Mowbray Civil Parish.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Melton Mowbray petty session hearings.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this placem when it was established as a Civil Parish in 1866, became part of the Melton Mowbray Poorlaw Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1841 68
1861 67
1871 73
1881 96
1891 147
1901 157
1911 214
1921 191
topup

Schools

  • The children of this parish attended school in Melton Mowbray.